Chapter 9: I'm Okay

E V A N N A

"Fuck off," Ethan said to Jeremy, who decided to join us while we were watching a movie.

Jeremy smiled. "I'm just here to see how my boys were doing."

Brandon shot up from his seat, rolling his shoulders. "God, I've waited 7 years to do this."

Jeremy frowned. "What?"

Brandon laughed, but it was full of bitterness and resentment. "Come on, scared of your own son? You were strong enough to punch a fucking 5 year old kid. Let's see how strong you are going up against the same kid 12 years later."

Jeremy scoffed. "Brandon, you're being an idiot. You think you're stronger than me?"

Brandon smirked. "Yeah, I do."

Daniel paused the movie as we all watched the scene unfold. Ethan smiled. "Brandon, don't hurt him too badly."

Brandon lunged forwards, landing a punch square in Jeremy's face. He staggered backwards, holding his jaw. "Brandon, I'm your father!"

"The hell you're not," Brandon growled, throwing punches after another.

My shaking hands clung onto Jayden's arm and I buried my face in his chest. "I don't want to look..."

Jayden rested his chin on my head, patting my back. "Well, Brandon's beating the living life out of Jeremy."

I peeked an eye open and I saw Jeremy barely scratching Brandon. Whenever Jeremy tried throwing a punch, Brandon blocked it or dodged it.

Brandon grabbed Jeremy by his collar. "Fucking bastard."

Jeremy almost fell over, but Brandon caught him, kneeing him in the face.

I winced, looking away.

"Okay, okay," Ethan cut in. "That's enough..."

"No, this. Prick. Deserves. More," Brandon growled, punching Jeremy at every word.

"You can look now," Jayden whispered in my ear.

I turned around and saw Jeremy with a bloody nose and a really bad black eye, along with a split lip. I looked down and saw Daniel smiling, biting his lip.

"I'm... I'm trying to change!" Jeremy breathed out, holding his nose. "I want to... to be your caring father... again."

"Again?" Daniel suddenly yelled. "You were never a caring father to begin with!"

"Everyone deserves second chances," Jeremy said, breathing heavily. "Give me another chance. I'll prove that I can be a good father... Evanna... you forgave them, tell them they should give me another chance too."

My heart dropped, all the attention on me.

What are you going to do?

Your brothers treated you just as badly as Jeremy treated them.

If they won't forgive Jeremy, doesn't that mean you shouldn't forgive your brothers either?