I'm on the right track, baby, I was born this way

I easily was absorbed in the music. I forgot people were there so I didn’t worry about judgment, that’s what the song was about any ways.

When it ended, I went back to where they were sitting. Shane was grinning and Will smiled.

“Damn, Will said you were great but I didn’t actually know.” Shane said to me. “That was awesome.”

“That is also what I’d love to see you do in class, let go and enjoy it.” Will told me.

“I…” I trailed off. I couldn’t do that in front of this class, people would laugh at me. I would make a fool of myself.

“I know.” He smiled sadly.

“I get to pick a song for you now.” I looked at Shane.

“Go for it.” He challenged.

“Sexy and I Know It.”

Will and I tried not to laugh at his dancing and how his voice cracked a lot. We tried but failed miserably.

When the bell was about to ring, Will grabbed my arm.

“If he is here today, come find me or Shane, alright?” he asked.

“Does Shane know about him?” I asked, looking over to him.

“I know that your father is dangerous. Will said if I wanted to know more, I had to talk to you.” Shane told me.

“I’ll tell you when I’m not about to go to class.” I promised as the bell rung.

Dani and I walked out to the track not excited for more running.

“Can’t you get us out of it?” she groaned.

“Nope, sorry.” I chuckled. “Hey, do you want to go shopping with Zoey and I tomorrow?”

Zoey had been saying we needed to go buy me some new clothes. I told her I really didn’t want to go but she said I had to. She also said I could bring Dani if I wanted to.

“Sure!” she grinned. “It’ll be fun.”

“I wouldn’t call it fun.” I muttered.

Dani grabbed my arm suddenly, I stopped walking and looked at her. Her face was pale and she was staring at the bleachers.

I looked over and saw my father and four other men sitting in a group on the bleachers, fifty feet away. His sinister black eyes stared into mine, they were bloodshot. He offered me a twisted smile and held up a knife for me to see.

My throat closed up as I recognized it as the knife he used when he tried to rape me. Fear seemed to swallow me alive and I couldn’t breathe.

Was he threatening to stab me or rape me? Probably both, I shuddered.

One of the men said something and they all laughed loudly. I assumed they were friends of my fathers and they were all drunk.

What were they going to do? I feared, based on the way some stared at girls, that they would try to take a few of us. It was so much more unpredictable when they were all drunk.

Dani yanked me backwards to get farther away. I stumbled, not taking my eyes off of him. I wanted to see any move he made. I couldn’t afford to miss anything.

When someone else grabbed my arm, I tried to yank it away, was it another friend who had snuck up on me?

“Mr. Haynes has asked me to take everyone back to the gym. He sais you two should go to his office.” Shane said but I hardly heard him. I was too focused on Will who was walking towards the men. “We need to go now, one of them has a knife.”