Chapter 61

"Joane, it's me."  I was on my way to the cafeteria when I called her. "Can we see each other today?"

"Yeah..." She seemed hesitant for a moment, "I'll text you when I'm free, okay?"

"Alright."

"See you later."

"See you later." 

I hung up, wondering what could possibly keep her busy and so distant. 

I walked through the crows and finally met Tom and Jen who were waiting for me. 

"Tom I'm so sorry about what my mother did..." I could barely sleep last night when I heard the news. I wondered if Tom would be mad at me, even though I'm not responsible for it, this is still all because of me. My mother provided the press with that information because she wanted to get back at me, I guess. "She's so mean, she's gonna ruin everyone's life."

"It's okay Blake." He answered calmly. "I actually think that my father deserves it." My eyes widened in shock, I definitely didn't expect this. "I mean, he knew he had a daughter and he hid it, he lied to everyone, including me. What's happening to him right now... It's called karma."

Jen and I stared at him in shock for a moment, not knowing what to say. 

"Honestly Blake..." He went on, "You didn't miss much..." He sighed. "He's a terrible father, he's never been here for me... Look at me, I'm only 17 and I've been living on my own for years... My father is away most of the time... The others may think that i'm the luckiest guy on earth but trust me, it's not true. I feel lonely most of the time, living in that place on my own. My father barely asks about me, all he cared about is his business."

"I'm sorry..." I had no idea Tom felt so lonely. 
When you look at him, you'd never guess that he feels alone. 

He is popular, rich, and throws parties every weekend... Every student here would like to be him. 

"But at least now I'm not forced to lie anymore." He smiled at me, "Now everyone can know that you're my sister and for that, I will be eternally grateful to your mother."

"You're right. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise."

"My future sister in law is my best friend!" Jen exclaimed, interrupting us. "Can you believe it? I think I'm the luckiest girl in the world!" Jen's always been so extra. 

"Slow down baby, we're not married yet." Tom rolled his eyes. 

"Oh you will put a ring on it sooner or later." Jen smirked and winked at him. 

They started to tease each other like they always use to do and my eyes landed on Jean, on the other side of the cafeteria. 

He was sitting at a table, eating his meal alone. 

His head was down, his eyes fixated on his lunch as if he wouldn't dare look at anyone in the room and I felt for him, because I know how it is to be in his shoes. 

I know how it is to fear looking at anyone, thinking that you're not good enough to have friends. 

"Is there something wrong?" Tom asked out of nowhere. 

"Look at Jean..." I pointed at him, "Not so long ago, I was in his shoes, I was the weirdo that no one wanted to talk to. No one deserves to be treated this way..."

"We can ask him to stay with us." Tom shrugged. 

"Oh really? And since when don't you care about your popularity?" Jen asked him doubtfully. 

"Since the weirdo is my sister." He teased me and I shook my head. 

"Then come on, let's talk to him." I ended the conversation and walked toward him.