Chapter 77

Blake

It was the most boring week. 
Being sick, I had to stay in bed for days fighting fever and body aches. So I was more than happy to finally be able to go back to school, even though I still felt tired. 

At school, nothing has changed except that Noah has found a new friend. 
His name is Daniel and just like Noah, he just moved in town, I guess that's why they've become friends so quickly, because they both have no one else here. 
The two of them are already popular, girls turning around them all the time and I'm happy for Noah. I didn't want him to feel alone here. 

But sadly, things weren't as easy for everyone... 

As I walked through the campus, heading to my next class, a bunch of students clapping and cheering caught my attention. A small crowd had gathered around the dumpster at the end of the yard and my heart sank when I heard Jean's voice, crying out and asking for help. 
Without thinking, I started to run towards them, my eyes wide and my heart thumping in my chest. Horror filled me and I almost threw up at the scene taking place in front of me. 
A bunch of guys from the football team had literally thrown Jean into the bin and were now making fun of him. Some girls were there, laughing at him and my heart broke for him.

How can they be so mean? Jean didn't even do anything to them, they don't even know him. They're taking it out on him only because he's not like them. Because he's not a model of perfection, he did not win at the genetic lottery. Unlike all those guys, Jean is not built like some living God... He's got a skinny body and acne on his face. He is not popular, he doesn't wear the finest clothes, he doesn't have the latest phone. 
And they're all making his life a living hell because of such futile things. 

"Hey!" I called them back and they all turned to me. "What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

"Look who's here... The joke-killer." Harriet, the new self-proclaimed Queen B, spat with venom. 

"This is not funny. This is not a joke!" My voice was loud and firm as I tried not to lose my temper. 

"This is none of your business, Turner." Jeremy crossed his arms over his football uniform, a smirk plastered on his face. 

"Oh yes it is. I'm not gonna let you hound him any longer." I took a few steps, trying to make my way towards the bin, bumping shoulders every now and then as I crossed the crowd but Jeremy caught me by the arm, stopping me from moving any further. 
I sent him a death glare as I felt his hand roughly curl around my arm. 

A few months ago, the old Blake would have ran away. She wouldn't have dare face them.
But those days are over. 
I'd fight for Jean, just like I'd fight for any of my friends. 
I'd fight injustice. 
I'd fight those people who think they rule the world. 

"Get your fucking hand off of me." I warned him, looking him right in the eyes. 

"Guys," He addressed the crowd, his hand still roughly closed around my arm. "I think Miss Turner wants to join him." They all burst out laughing, cheering him and I glared at them until I spotted Tom breaking through the crowd with a firm step, forcing them all to step aside as  he rushed toward us, with a look of hatred, a look I had never seen on his face.  
Stopping right in front of us, he did not utter a word as he immediately wrapped his hand around Jeremy's neck, forcing him to let go of me, and shoved him against the bin behind us, his hand still curled around his neck. 

"Touch my sister again and I'll fucking kill you, you hear me?" His voice was composed and low, yet it held so much hatred.

The crowd of student was silent as Jeremy stared wide-eyed at Tom. The two of them know each other damn well as they're part of the football team.