Chapter 6 - A Day With PJ And Chris

I woke up to that worried feeling I'd gone to sleep with. I had my whole world in my Mustcahe Backpack and now that it wasn't safe at the bottom of my bed I felt empty, worried and agitated. Today I was going to text PJ about my backpack and ask if it was okay if I came over today to get it. I climbed out of bed and grabbed my iPhone from my nightstand where it had been charging. As soon as I picked it up I realised that I didn't have PJ's number, he had mine, but as I turned my phone on I realised I had a text from and unknown number. 

Unknown Numer:

Hey Emily, it's PJ. Just thought I should tell you that you forgot your backpack at mine yesterday. Would you like me to bring it to yours today? xx

I smiled and couldn't stop my eyes being drawn towards the two 'x's at the end, but I just dismissed it as what he must usually do. I saved his number then texted him back.

To: PJ

You don't have to bring it to me, I can come and get it if that's okay? xx

I set my phone down on my bed and went to get washed and dressed. I did my morning routine then got dressed. I pulled on simple denim shorts, a black Batman top, black long sock and my old brown boots. I grabbed my too-big-denim-jacket and pulled it on, ziping it up halfway then brushing through my long damp hair. I then picked up my phone, seeing I had a reply and opened it.

From: PJ

Oh yeah that's fine, you remember how to get here? xx

To: PJ

Yeah, I'll be there in about half an hour. xx

From: PJ

Okay, see you soon (: xx

I smiled to myself, then shoved my phone in my pocket. I left a note saying I had gone out for the day, then left, making my way to the station. I was glad to have something to do rather than sitting at home all day or sitting in a coffee shop alone then walking around aimlessly for hours.

I got off the train and instinctively went to adjust my backpack, but my hands fumbled around on my back, clutching nothing but air. I sighed and headed out of the station, making my way towards PJ's house. It was a chilly day, the sky was blanketed in white clouds. There was no blue sky to see for miles and far away to the North I could see a key dark clouds. I shivered and pulled the cuffs of my jacket over my hands and tensed my shoulders, raising them almost to my ears. I clenched my teeth, then exhaled through the gaps in between my teeth, sending a dull pain through the nerves in my teeth.

I finally got to PJ's, my teeth chattering and my body so tense I was walking as if I had a metal rod inbedded in my spine, making it impossible for me to bend it. I stopped outside his house and pressed the button connected to the doorbell. I had to wait about 30 seconds before I heard movement behind the door. Then, the door was pulled open by a beaming PJ. As soon as the chilly air hit him his smile wavered and he grimaced.

"God, it's freezing! Come in!" He said, gesturing for me to enter. I shuffled quickly past him into the hallway of his small house, then waited for him to close the door while leaning against his radiator which felt as if it was on full blast. It was heavenly. Pj closed the door then rubbed his upper arms, exhaling through gritted teeth so it made a slight hissing noise. He then dropped his arms and his smile returned.

"Your bags in my room. Chris is here, by the way. We were just going to hang out today." Pj said, walking past me to the stairs and stepping up onto the bottom step before stopping and turning back to me.

"Why don't you go into the living room," He gestured towards the first door to the right in the hallway, which was right beside me. "Chris is in there, he'll remember you from Summer in the City. I'll get your bag." He said, then turned and hurried up the stairs two at a time. I chewed on my bottom lip, then straightened up away from the radiator and headed into the living room. I stuck my head 'round the door and let my eyes sweep over the room. It wasn't huge, but wasn't tiny either. There were two sofa's on either side of the room, Chris was sitting on the sofa further from the doorway, staring at the TV which was on.  The Big Bang Theory was on and Chris seemed highly interested in  whatever was happening. I loved The Big Bang Theory, it was one of the only TV programmes I actually enjoyed watching. As I took another step into the living room Chris' head whipped 'round, then he smiled widely.