Chapter 15

I awoke with a jolt, unsure of where I am. I could tell I was in a bed, but I'm not sure of much more. I squinted against the bright sunlight, blinking with now watery eyes.

Upon moving my body, I was happy to discover that everything worked, but I could feel a bandage on my arm. My head faintly hurt, but it wasn't anything unbearable.

My eyes soon adjusted to the light, revealing Damien, Lucas, Isaac, and Grayson all sitting around me in a large living room. Damien and Lucas sat anxiously on the couch, while Isaac paced back and forth. I'm surprised he hadn't worn a permanent path into the carpet.

Grayson was the closest to me, sitting in a chair by the bed with his head in his hands. He looked as though he had aged another few years in the time between me falling unconscious and now.

I couldn't help but feel a bit bad, as it was probably my fault he looked so exhausted.

I moved my arm across the sheets, lifting it to rest a hand on his cheek.

His downcast head sprung up. "Adeline!" he gasped. "Oh, thank God you're awake."

I coughed, squinting against the harsh light. "Are you alright? W-What happened?"

He laughed, seeming to relax a bit. "You would be worried about me at a time like this."

"How long have I been out?" I croaked, ignoring his comment.

Isaac was by my side with a glass of water faster than I could raise my body up off the bed.

I greedily consumed the chilled liquid; it quenched my burning throat. I still needed answers, though.

"Only for a few hours," Damien responded from the couch.

"I had a doctor come and check you out," Grayson grimaced, fluttering his arms around my body anxiously. "She tried to clean you up as best as she could without, uh... invading your privacy. She said you were fine. You just had an adrenaline crash and needed some rest."

"How did we get here? The last thing I remember was falling asleep in the car," I groaned, sliding into a sitting position on the bed.

Now that I was fully awake, I could see the actual bandage on my arm. There were a few other minor little scrapes and a couple light bruises, but other than that I was in the clear. I seemed to be wearing another one of Grayson's oversized sweaters; I assumed the other one was ruined by the crash. They probably put me in it because it was so loose and breathable.

I gently touched my forehead, but it thankfully didn't have a bandage.

"You didn't need one," Grayson muttered, noticing the question on my lips before I could even ask it.

"Oh... Well that's good, I guess," I shrugged. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as we thought.

"As for how we got here, as soon as you passed out, I floored it to get to Saint Petersburg as fast as I could. I... I was scared you weren't going to wake up." His moment of weakness warmed my heart.

He rubbed his face tiredly. "I definitely broke some laws to get here fast. Once we got to the hotel, we met up with the others and called a doctor to make sure you were okay. We paid them extra so they didn't ask any questions."

His analytical gaze noticed the bit of blood staining the bandage on my arm. "Speaking of the doctor, we should get that cleaned up," he frowned, protective instincts kicking in.

I nodded, swinging my legs out from under the thick covers. As I went to stand, I wobbled a bit.

Grayson was immediately at my side with a steadying hand.

Just My LuckOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara