Before she could say anything, Zoran popped up behind them. Leaning down to their eye level, he asked, "Do you two wanna go with me?"

Lorilie gazed at him, her tail slowing its motion. "I've a feeling I don't exactly have a choice in the matter," she remarked.

A thought popped into Samari's head, one that demanded attention. Not wanting to back out of it, she decided to follow the idea immediately. Stuffing the rest of her sausage in her mouth, she set down her plate. "I'll be back, " she mumbled with a hand covering her mouth.

Stepping over the benches, her eyes scanned people carefully as she walked. Spotting who she was looking for, she made a beeline through the area. Luckily for her, the man was getting his food and was not talking with anyone, so it was easy for her to approach him.

"Hey, you-you said that you, uh, saw the obstacle course, right?" she asked. "I was...wondering about what the ob-obstacles are, if you know?"

Surprised, he blinked at her. "Uh, yeah. I don't remember which ones were in which paths, but there was a pit with ropes across it, a minefield, a maze, and a thick forest. I can't remember the last one, but I hope this helps you!"

"It does. Thank you, " she bowed and left, letting out a deep sigh of relief. Now to find Dillian, she thought as she searched for him.

"Sam! There you are. I've been looking for you, " he called out.

She turned to the sound of his voice, confused as to how she had missed seeing him. Spying the Volcanic, she closed the gap between them with a few steps.

"Funny, I could say the same t-to you, " she mentioned. "Anyway, I want to discuss the strategy for later--"

"We should go over the plan together, " Dillian said at the same time.

Stunned by the coincidence, they both stuttered and looked away. When she glanced back, Samari saw him blushing as he fixed his glasses.

"Ah, you--" they started, stopping to let the other talk.

Wanting to break the cycle, Samari waved a hand in from of her face. "You talk. I was j-just coming over to see what your plan was, anyway."

He smiled sheepishly, waiting a few seconds in case she wanted to say something else. When she started at him silently, he began, "Alright, here's the plan..."

_Π_Π_Π_

A hundred finalists stood before the announcer, the obstacle course behind him. They stood uncomfortably close to each in order to hear him better, despite how he was being projected by scry lacrimas.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I hope you all are ready for the year's Dark Moon Tournament finale!"

The crowd behind them erupted into cheers, somewhat to the announcer's disappointment. He waited for them to quiet down before continuing.

"As by tradition, the final is a race, but we spruced things up this year. For one thing, there are twenty prizes, although some are more valuable than others. The race itself will be in the form of an obstacle course. As you can see, there are five main pathways, each with a different set of obstacles.

" The paths will eventually join together, some sooner than others, to all lead to a clearing." He pointed to the scry screen which now showed the field. It was a hilly area with a pedestal on top of each hill. "As you can see, each pedestal has a prize. Only one prize per person! Whatever prize you choose, bring it back here to earn it as your keep. Keep in mind that anyone is allowed to steal it from you on the way back.