Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Hello, Miss Mara

It was good that they went to the food stalls for they met up with Zoran and Cheryl there. Since none of them could decide on one thing they wanted to eat, they agreed to get portions of each dish and share them together.

Cyrus and Cheryl exchanged stories about matches, although she had not had her match yet.

Their conversation stopped abruptly when he nodded towards someone. "I might be right about that spell caster cause there looks to be a squad captain with her, " he told Samari.

She turned to look at the woman, Zoran curious as well. As soon as she saw them, she scrambled under the table.

"Sam? Are you good?" Cheryl asked, leaning over to see her.

Frantically, she waved her away. "Don't let him see me."

Even more confused, Cheryl sat back up to pretend she was not there. "Any particular reason why you're hiding?"

"That's the captain I...told you about, the one who-who's looking for Shadow Knight. We can't him know that he is....in our guild!"

"That's him? He looks a lot younger than you made him sound, " she banged her head against the table. "And...he's looking at us. And now he's coming towards us. He sees you, by the way."

Hissing, Sam climbed back into her seat, pretending to tuck something into her pocket.

"So this is the lad who bested my caster, " Jonathan said. Cy started to stand, but the captain held out a hand to stop him. "No need to raise on my account. I simply came to congratulate you on your victory and wish you well in the final."

He started to give a small now when he saw Samari, who was casually eating and paying no mind to him. She hoped that by ignoring him, he would ignore her, but that was not so.

"Why, as I live and breathe, it's Miss Mara. How lovely it is to see you again, " he cooed.

Lightly smiling, she nodded slowly to him. "Indeed it is. Whatever...brings you to this festival? Perhaps a-a bit of fun?" she said, keeping her voice light and tender.

"Alas, my job is never done. We added a certain element to the festival in hopes of drawing him out. And...if I may inquire as to whether or not you took my advice?"

Hahaha, just the opposite. I'm closer to him than I ever thought I would be, and now, I'll protect him from you.

"Of a sort. I joined a nice guild in Magmia, and we...came down...to enjoy the festival. These are...some of my guildmates, actually, " she gestured to the table.

She noticed his smile flatten, hardly enough to see. "Are they now? Excuse my ill manners. I am Captain Jonathan Braster of the Third Squadron. These are some of my men, Disciples Reagan Cartwright and Joise Ysrme."

"I'm Cyrus; this is Zoran, Cheryl, and you already know Mara, " he introduced them.

Jonathan clutched his hands behind his back and turned to Zoran. "Zoran, is it? I feel as though I know you. What is your surname?"

Samari's eyes glistened with curiosity. She hadn't really thought about surnames much before, for no one in the village had them, yet travelers usually did. Not only that, but they would introduce themselves to it.

"You would not recognize me by my surname. I don't give it out much, " he replied, waving the question away.

Darn, I'm not finding it out that easily. But, why not tell him?

Jonathan's shoulders dropped. "And is this a mage's guild that you are? I wonder so from your having such a skilled elemental in your midst." he inquired.

They nodded, yet did not respond. None of them were too eager to talk with this man, so they let him ask questions and make comments as he pleased.

"Ah, I did not figure you for a mage, Miss Mara. You still have some tricks, I see."

"I'm not yet, but soon...I hope, I shall get my mage mark." Sometime after I can actually use my ticon--if I have any.

"I see." Behind him, Joise cleared her throat. "Ah, it seems I have kept you from your meal. If you would excuse us. It was a pleasure to speak with you."

Smiling, Zoran said, "No trouble at all."

Jonathan returned the grin. Inclining his head to them, he followed his troops away.

Once the poster was out of sight, Samari growled. Startled by the noise, the others turned to her.

"Are you good? You were acting kind of weird when he showed up. And, why'd he call you 'Mara'?" Cyrus asked.

She didn't respond, instead, pushing her plate away from her. Having cleared the area, she proceeded to bang her head on the table.

"Why do the weird ones always come to me? Ah...but he might be nice--if he wasn't such a flirt! O-or is he actually really nice...and...I just can't see it? Am I just--could I just be overseeing him...because I like someone?" she squealed.

Surprisingly, her head-banging proven to be useful, for if she had not done so, her friends would have heard her strange rant--something she very much so wishes she could keep in her head.

Resting her head on the table, she let out a grunt before bolting upwards. "Just forget it. It's nothing," she commanded, uncaring whether she was talking to herself or the others.

Narrowing his eyes at her, Cyrus slowly raised his fork. Because he was staring at her rather than paying attention to what he was doing, his fork bumped into his chin, dropping his food onto the table. Wide-eyed, he gazed remorsefully at the fallen chunks.

Cheryl giggled at the sight. "It might be a good idea to put the food in your mouth," she teased him.

While they bantered, Zoran leaned towards Samari. "Did you notice what he said?"

She glanced at him, eyebrows raised.

"He said that the armsmen " added a certain element to the festival." Makes me wonder if he had anything to do with the spirit gem being brought out after so long in storage," he smirked.

Lips parting slightly, her head tilted in curiosity. "He was...definitely referring to Shadow Knight. I wonder how much he knows--how deep he has s-searched. How--how did he know Shadow Knight as looking for the spirit gem?"

He leaned back, resting his chin on his knuckles. "The guild's influence spreads farther than you know, but the armsmen have near-absolute control over all resources. If it weren't for his ability, I suspect the armsmen would have no trouble finding our Decipher. Then again, they could still find him if they would just look in the right place."

Wait, Shadow Knight has some special ability that makes him harder to find? Well, it makes sense, but why does Zoran know about it?

"Ah, well, it's not so important, " he responded to the thoughtful gaze in her eyes. "Let's just focus on winning this thing, yeah?"

Nodding, she raised her hands in fists of encouragement. "Alright. Let's do all we can t-to make it...happen!"

Zoran held up his cup in cheer, and she tapped hers against it.

Although I have no idea how I'm going to do that.