Chapter 46

Quinn

After spending what felt like an eternity navigating treatment options and filling out endless paperwork, Mason and I finally sank into the plush seats of our car. In the consultation room, Mason had been strangely quiet, and the silence continued as he pulled out of the hospital's underground parking. But as we approached the first set of traffic lights, his defences crumbled.

"Quinn, was this what you were trying to keep from me? Is this why you think we can't be together?" His voice cracked at the end, revealing a glimpse of vulnerability. I gently placed my hand on his, which rested on the gear stick.
"Yeah... I didn't want you to experience any more loss. When I learned about your parents, I tried to stay away, especially because of my history with cancer. I thought it would be a painful reminder for you, and you looked so happy—I didn't want to jeopardize that. But when you carried me into the emergency room that night, the doctors ran some tests, and they found abnormalities indicating cancer. That's when I made the decision to shut you out." Tears welled up in my eyes and clung to my lashes.

"By then, I had already fallen for you. I just couldn't admit it to myself because I was a stubborn idiot," I admitted matter-of-factly, letting out a frustrated laugh. I attempted to stifle a yawn, disguising it with my hand, but he caught it in his peripheral vision.
"You should get some rest. We have the entire weekend together," he suggested, and I nodded, attempting to calm the storm of thoughts threatening to overwhelm me.

He's right. We have all weekend to figure out our next steps. The ball is in his court now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My eyes fluttered open, greeted by the darkness outside the window. Glancing at my alarm clock, the numbers 3:33 am stared back at me. I couldn't recall waking up after the car ride home or even getting into bed. Mason must have carried me.

Sitting up abruptly, I searched the dimly lit room for Mason's presence. No sign of him or anyone else. I shifted in my bed, planting my feet on the floor, only to discover that it wasn't the floor but rather Mason's chest.

Holy hell, he was sleeping on my floor?!

I felt a mixture of guilt that he felt the need to sleep on the floor and gratitude that he respected the boundaries we had set since we became friends. Although, a part of me secretly wished he would join me in bed, even if it was just for sleeping.

Bending down, I gently brushed a few strands of hair from his forehead, causing him to stir.
"Hey, you, get off the floor, dummy. Come and lie in bed. I promise not to bite... much," I teased with a faint hint of laughter as he sat up groggily.
"I didn't want to leave you, and I didn't want you to think I was trying to get into your pants," he said, stretching. I grabbed his arm and pulled him toward the bed.
"It's okay. I know. Come and sleep." I reassured him. Slowly, he slid under the covers and positioned himself so we were facing each other. My insides twisted, and warmth spread across my cheeks at the closeness.
"Thank you for today... technically yesterday now, but... what I mean is... I'm sorry I didn't tell you," I said, averting my gaze now that my eyes had adjusted to the darkness, allowing me to make out his features. He placed a finger on my chin and turned my face to meet his.
"It's okay. I get it, and you have nothing to apologize for. I never want you to say sorry to me about that, okay?" His hand fell from my face as his eyes wandered to my lips and then back to my eyes. My heart pounded against my ribcage, threatening to escape. Slow down, please, heart. All I could manage was a nod.

"Quinn, it doesn't matter what's in front of you right now because I'm right behind you. I will be with you every step of the way. I want to be what you need me to be. I'll do anything, be anything for you." he whispered softly. I reached up and grazed his fresh stubble lining his strong jaw. Witnessing this usually steadfast man in such a vulnerable state nearly shattered me. I had to show him that I trusted him enough to be vulnerable in return.
"I'm so sorry if I hurt you. I pushed you away when it was the last thing I truly wanted to do. I..." He placed a finger on my lips, silencing me, then traced the outline of my lips and down my jaw to my neck.
"Will you let me hold you tonight? We can talk later," he murmured, his voice barely audible. The coil tightly wound in my stomach unravelled, and I melted as he adored each of my fingers with kisses. I was grateful for the extra time to gather my thoughts and find the right words. For now, I was blurting out whatever came to mind first, which probably wasn't the best idea.
"Okay," I whispered. He buried his face in the crook of my neck and let out an audible sigh at the same time as I did. Laying there, wrapped in his taught arms I was grateful for everything in my life that had led me to this exact moment.