Chapter 7

As 9:30 PM rolled around, exhaustion settled into every fiber of my being. All I yearned for was to slip into a deep sleep and forget the mentally draining day that had unfolded. While Lexi blissfully floated on cloud nine, removing her makeup in the bathroom, I gave her a gentle heads-up that I intended to go to bed.

"Really? But it's so early, Quinn. Are you feeling okay?" Lexi turned to me, a hint of concern lingering in her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine Lex. Some people are just drainers, you know?" She stood wide eyed mocking shock by holding her heart.

"Not you dummy." I replied, casting my gaze downward, fidgeting with my fingernails.
"Just... other people. Anyway, I better hit the sack so I can wake up early tomorrow and start job hunting." Offering her a small smile, I padded out of the bathroom and retreated to the comfort of my cozy bedroom.

As the minutes ticked by and the clock read 10:03 PM, I found myself lying there, staring at the ceiling, my mind swirling with an incessant whirlwind of thoughts. I longed to experience the life of a normal twenty-two-year-old, but my circumstances had shaped me into anything but that. And amidst it all, I struggled to convince myself that I was not attracted to Mason, a battle that strained my patience.

"That's it!" I exclaimed, throwing off the covers with determination. My hands reached for the familiar contours of my acoustic guitar, seeking solace in it. Strumming the strings, I let the first song that came to me flow from my fingertips, hoping to purge my mind of the ceaseless back-and-forth conversations with myself.

Problem by Ariana Grande (cover by Haley Klinkhammer)

I played with passion, my fingers dancing across the strings until they were numb, lost in the cathartic release of music. But as the notes gradually faded, a weariness settled upon me, weighing down my eyelids.

Carefully, I placed my cherished guitar back onto its rack, its presence a comforting reassurance in the quiet room. Pulling the covers up to my chin, I nestled beneath their warmth, seeking comfort in the cocoon of my bed.

"Tomorrow will be better," I whispered into the stillness, as if the universe itself needed to hear my declaration.
"No uni. No Mason." The words held a resolute determination. In the dark, I surrendered to the realm of dreams, hoping that tomorrow would bring with it a fresh start, untethered from the complications that whispered through my mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I peered at the time through squinted eyes, finding the clock's digits blinking 4:14 AM. A sigh escaped my lips, mingling with a mix of frustration and resignation. Sleep had abandoned me for the night, leaving me to grapple with my restless thoughts. Resolute in my decision to abandon the pursuit of sleep, I padded out to the lounge room, laptop in tow, and sank into the plush cream pleather couch.

Crap!

As I settled in, the sudden loud noise of the farting couch echoed through the lounge, causing me to scrunch my face in annoyance. I quickly glanced toward Lexi's closed bedroom door, relieved that she remained asleep.

That's about the only time Lex was not bubbly and happy-go-lucky. When she's woken early.

I focused my attention on the laptop, launching into a determined search for part-time jobs. Page after page of ads scrolled before my eyes as I diligently saved the prospects that caught my interest. Desperate to find a foothold in the music industry, I widened my search to include pub jobs, hoping to stumble upon an opportunity that would help me earn my family's trust and pave the way to reconciliation.