Unhappy Birthday to Me--Seventeen years old

I was going to doze off again when the door opened softly, barely opening more than a foot before Legolas slipped in. I blinked, sitting up quickly, as he was carrying a small bowl of something that filled the bright room with a fragrant aroma.

"What does that happen to be?" I asked inquisitively, trying to peer into the bowl.

"So many questions, so little time," he said by way of answer. I rolled my eyes.

"Iston, Legolas, naravo en tithen gwen, (I know, Legolas, don't tell the little girl anything,)" I grinned, switching to Sindarin. He looked at me curiously.

"What?" I teased.

"Nothing," he laughed softly, half-smiling. "Drink this, it will strengthen you."

"Still not telling what it is, I see. Do you mean to poison me, sir?" 

Legolas shook his head in wonder. "Now, why would I do that?"

A few minutes later, the sweet cordial was gone, and warmth had spread to the ends of my fingers. "Thank you, mellon nin," I smiled drowsily. 

Who knew you could sleep in a dream?

 He got up from the side of my bed and looked back before soundlessly leaving, as I faded back into the mortal world. I recalled the memory, the last I had.

Today, the eve of my 17th birthday, marked the one-month anniversary of my last visit to Greenwood. My heart sunk just a little lower. Faewyn....would she have forgotten me? Found a new best friend among the superior elves?

"So, Gianna," quipped my mum, looking to me across the table, violently knocking me out of my reverie. 

"Yeah?" I asked dully, looking back at her. She looked a bit concerned that I was not more excited for my birthday, but my three closest friends, Alexa, Reyna and Marley, were gone for the week and there was nothing I really wanted to do.

"Have you thought about....tomorrow?" she asked, trying to pry open my clamshell of a soul with her gaze.

"Oh, yeah. Loads," I reassured her. In reality, I had thought about it, but....not what she was thinking. I wish I could see Faewyn for my birthday, as the last birthday we had spent together had been my thirteenth.

"Well, I was thinking we could take you to see a movie," my mum ventured on, insistently prodding at me with her tone. I gave her a smile.

"Yeah, that sounds good," I replied. "Maybe we could go shopping, too?"

"Sure, love, what do you want?" she asked, sounding a little relieved.

"I needed some new socks," I said with a small frown. She smiled.

"I daresay we can look for that later," she replied. "I want to get you some presents!" I rolled my eyes. "Muuum," I half-whined. "You don't have to get me anything!"

"I do too!" she replied indignantly. "I am not letting my daughter be a pauper on her 17th birthday!" I grinned and finished my pasta.

Well, I thought bleakly, as I reached for the lamp. Here goes nothing. 

My room went dark, and I buried myself in blankets up to my nose, regardless of the warm night outside.

I was falling again

through the darkness

I might have been screaming

Something beat at my face with 

spindly fingers

and

I

was 

terrified.

I hit the ground. I saw stars, and although my first thought was that I was hallucinating, I realized I was gazing at the night sky. I had never seen the stars in Greenwood before, if that was indeed where I found myself, and I couldn't help but wonder if I would ever--

"Gianna!" came a cry, interrupting my thoughts. 

I sat up, impatiently untangling branches from my hair. Faewyn sat peering at me, shock written on her delicate features. 

"Faewyn..." I gasped, standing up unsteadily. 

"You just fell out of a tree," she said breathlessly, running towards me. 

I sat up, my vision blurring. I irritably heaved myself up until I was facing her.

"Oh, Faewyn," I said helplessly. "What's happening to me?"

We were curled up on a warm bench by a small fire in Faewyn's flet, each with a steaming mug of mint tisane. For some reason, my cuts had healed over already, and when I pointed this out, Faewyn only grinned and said, "It is working."

"What happened?" she asked, presently, after a few minutes of staring into the flickering flames. She had informed me that they rarely used the fireplace, as elves did not get cold easily.

"I'm not sure," I said. "After Legolas-"

Faewyn interrupted. "He found you?" she asked, clearly surprised.

"Well, yes," I replied. "I was walking towards your-"

"Of course he found you, he had just come to ask me if I had seen you!" she interjected. So that's what he had been doing.

"Oh," I frowned. "But anyway, then I passed out, and I somehow acquired a fever...Legolas.." I hesitated. 

"Ah," Faewyn said by way of reply. A clever glint sparked in her eyes.

"Anyway," I continued, "Every time I come here now, I land in some precarious situation."

"We must visit the palace," Faewyn answered, easily rising to her feet. "Legolas will want to know how you've been." She flashed me a quick smile, and feeling newly invigorated, I followed. 

Upon reaching once agin the great halls of the Elvenking, we were hurried in by the guards, who by now knew us by sight. We walked quickly through the cool chambers until we reached the throne room, and as Thranduil had not yet returned, set off to find Legolas. 

I can honestly tell you that walking around a majestic palace with absolutely no authorisation from the king (yes, he wasn't there, but still) is absurdly terrifying. You feel like you should be ready to hide at any moment. Predictably, we ended up running into one of the guards who regularly patrolled the halls, and I tried my best to not look like a stepped-on squirrel.

"We have business with the Prince," I said, standing up ramrod straight.

"Of course, hiril vuin," the guard bowed. My lady. "You seek the third door right of the last hall." The guard bowed again and resumed his march down the silent, imperial corridor.

"Impressive," Faewyn raised an eyebrow.

I laughed. "Maybe more so if I understood his directions."

She shrugged. "Come, we will figure it out," she replied, pulling me forward.

The corridors were a flummoxing maze of torches and stone, tapestries and intricate woodwork. Finally, who knows how she did it, Faewyn ended up at a heavy wooden door she informed me was Legolas's quarters. She raised her hand to knock, but I stopped her. This was so....awkward. 

"What?" she hissed. 

"This is just...kinda awkward," I said, feeling a blush creeping into my cheeks. 

Faewyn looked at me curiously. "How is this awkward?" 

I shrugged, and she made to knock again, but she stopped herself this time. "By the way, Gia," she started. 

I turned to look at her. 

"Happy Birthday," she said cheerfully, as her hand fell upon the door in a knock.