A Deal with the Devil

We watched in nervous silence as the two warriors--for it was clear they both were--faced each other. They spoke to each other, neither of them moving. I strained to hear them over the expanse of the short valley, but I couldn't catch anything.

The wind shifted. "If you wish, she must be here," I dimly heard Falcon say sneeringly.

"I see no reason for that," Legolas responded coldly. "You have already tormented her enough."

Ah, they spoke of me. I tried to catch more but again the winds turned and I was left with only shreds of wind borne whispers.

"They speak of a deal," I realised. No more was betrayed to me.

"I know not what Falcon intends, but we must stay here," Bren informed me.

"And what will we do for food or drink? The day is yet young." I asked, still not turning away from the scene below.

"A flask of water and a cake of lembas we have and are instructed to give to you," Damen said, pulling a leather skin from his belt.

"For this it was you who followed me," I said, raising my eyebrows.

"Indeed, it would not do to escape with no means of sustenance," Bren said, with a light smile.

"Cleverly planned, comrades," I assented. "We stay, then."

The rest of the day passed with little incident. The alcove which we had situated ourselves behind had warmed in the sun by the afternoon so the moist, sloppy earth no longer was so chilled. We passed the time by simple word games, while I flashed a glance below at the proceedings every few minutes. It seemed at one point that all the Wargs and Orcs had left, probably at the command of Falcon, for some reason. He must need them for something, some master plan he had yet to unveil.

At this point, Legolas, Faewyn, Maldor, and the other men were assembled at the far side of the valley, Falcon standing with one lone sentinel on the other. It was a strange arrangement, but there was nothing I could do about it. Instead, I focused on the riddle Bren had given me.

"Lady Gianna," he began, fingering a small, smooth stone he had picked up. "What belongs to you only, but others use it more than you?"

"My name," I said with hardly a second thought. "That was easy, good sir."

"Very well, it is your turn then," he conceded.

"What is a box without hinges, key, or lid in which the golden treasure is hid?" I said with a small smile.

"How do you open it to get inside, then?" Damen challenged.

I shot an amused glance in his direction. "A hint? Very well. You break it."

Both men silently thought for a while.

"It's an egg," Bren finally piped up, tossing a stone down the steep embankment.

"Well done," I acknowledged.

And so the afternoon wore on. I had a bite of bread and some water, and that was that. I had no idea how long we were to stay hidden, or whether they would come to find us.

As soon as I thought that, it seemed there was the sound of footsteps pattering over the loose stones.

"A scout," I hissed. "Get down!"

We crouched in the deepest shadow of the alcove, hardly daring to breathe, and fearing the worst.

Not hearing anything else, I began to rise and see what it was, but Damen pulled me down. "I will go," he said in a whisper. He leapt up and dodged before our concealed hiding place. I heard his sword drawn.