Not Sleeping

I propped myself against a rock. The rock was cold, hard and wet, which, as Faewyn said, was supposed to make me stay awake. However, I doubted I would be able to fall asleep anyway, because at this point I suffered from an inherent fear of drifting back into awful dreams. Or real life, however you want to think of it.

At least I was slowly drying off, which was good. The dying embers of the fire faintly illuminated the straggling forest around me. I figured already that there was no point to me keeping watch, because even though the others were a ways away from me, I was positive they all were awake. I wearily shifted positions and fingered the hilt of my dagger, admiring the craftsmanship in a detached sort of way and eventually set to the task of detangling my hair, which surely would take all night.

I was just attempting to work on the second braid when I heard a twig snap ominously. I stood up, grasping Legolas's bow. Maybe it was a frightening monster I could save everyone from. Imagining my heroic deeds, I stood up and was suddenly facing—Faewyn. 

"Oh, it's only you," I said, slightly relieved. 

"Only?" She remarked with a half-smile. "You would think I would get a better welcome." 

"I'm only glad it isn't a troll or something." I replied, playfully rolling my eyes. 

"How are you doing?" she asked, sitting down next to me. 

"Fine, I guess," I shrugged, "I can't really feel much when there's nothing I can do and..." I trailed off. 

"Well, you can sleep if you want," she offered. "I don't really need much sleep and I'm fine with staying up."

"No, don't worry about it," I said sadly. "I don't know if today I'll be able to sleep anyway." 

"If you're sure," she said. "Are you dry yet?" 

"Almost," I said with a slight laugh. "My hair is struggling a little."

We laughed, and continued talking about insignificant topics until Faewyn got up. 

"If you're alright then I shall try and rest a little bit." 

"See you in the morning," I told her, suppressing a yawn. Without another word, she flitted back into the thin trees, leaving me alone with my thoughts and a dying fire. It seemed that mere seconds later, I was blinking away sleep that threatened to engulf me. I tried to focus on the scattered light of the ashes and vowed not to surrender to the visions of flame that surely were ahead. 

I could just tell someone was behind me. 

Nobody had made a sound, but the instinct was there, that someone was directly behind me and coming closer every minute. Only an elf could make that little noise, or else a very large butterfly, which it probably wasn't. 

"Back so soon?" I remarked, positive it was a restless Faewyn. 

"I can't possibly be back if I never came," said Legolas's voice dryly. I stood up suddenly and completely lost my sense of direction. 

"What's happened?" I said nervously. If the Prince sought my presence, there was either a horrible accident I was unaware of, or I did something. Frantically, I ran through a methodic list of what I did earlier. 

"Nothing, there's no need to look so alarmed," he said calmly. "I only wanted to check on the situation."

"Which is pretty much under control," I said, motioning to the area. 

"I believe you," he answered. His keen blue eyes swept over the scenery, finally resting on my face. 

"Well, you can sit over here if you want," I offered, still confused by his motives.