Ink Stains

The sun was at its evening mark when we returned to the dismal brush where the others were gathered.

"What happened?" asked Faewyn as soon as we arrived, deftly running to where Legolas and I had stopped.

"I have elected to go with Falcon," I said heavily.

Faewyn made a dismayed noise and the others looked at each other, startled.

"It is the only way answers might be found," I said bluntly, "And I will take the greatest care to ensure that they are."

"But he will take you again, will he not?" one of the men asked.

"He is bound by an oath to free me if I should find what I seek," I said. "Should he disregard his word, he will be destroyed."

There was widespread nodding.

"When do you leave?" Maldor asked from next to Faewyn.

"Tonight. My one day to search starts this night at midnight."

"Then you must rest," Faewyn said, concerned, "For sleep will not come in the clutches of Falcon."

"I doubt I could sleep with this looming," I said ruefully.

"Perhaps it is best if we leave now," Legolas suggested.

"What? Where would we go? There must be half a day left until the moon is at its zenith." I answered, confused.

"There is a hidden cave not far from here that overlooks the exit to the valley," Legolas murmured, leaning close. "It is dark, you may find more rest there and I will be able see you."

"Very well, but I hardly need you to keep an eye on me." I said irritably.

"I never said it was for your benefit, my lady," he murmured, a faint smile etched on his face.

My eyes widened briefly in embarrassment.

"Then I bid you farewell now," I said to the assembled group, stepping forward. "I promise you, this will not be in vain."

"Mellon nin, you must be careful," Faewyn said in evident distress, "There is no telling what will happen."

"I will search for and find the only thing we came for," I assured them, "And I will return." I looked at Faewyn, willing her to believe that Falcon would never take me for his own again.

"Novaer (Farewell), Gianna," she said, bowing her head slightly, "But I expect to see you not an hour past midnight tomorrow!"

I smiled at this. "Fae, I reckon it might take longer than an hour to walk back here!"

"Then run," she said with an impish grin.

"What have I done to deserve this?" I groaned in mock frustration, shoving her lightly.

"You are impossible," she laughed. "Now, Legolas, get her out of here before I retaliate!"

Legolas rolled his eyes and said lightly, "Well then, we go."

The sadness returned to Faewyn's eyes once more as she turned away from the two of us. The rest of the camp fell silent as we passed, which strangely gave the entire proceedings the air of a funeral.

"I am not going to my death," I said with a grumble as I followed Legolas towards some unknown place.

"We would hope not, Gianna," he said, a heavy sigh on every syllable. "But we can do nothing more than that."

******

"I will let you know if you should wake," Legolas said, motioning to the inside of the cave.