The Sharp-Edged Truth

The sun had sunk far below the horizon by the time that the guests had started to disperse from the halls. Despite getting several stares as the elves passed, I also got several nods of acknowledgement, which was nice.

Much to my chagrin (and quite out of his usual character), Legolas spared no discretion with his interactions with me; several times he made a point to brush against me or pull me close to him.

"People will talk," I protested at some point, but Legolas only smiled lazily in my direction.

"Let them talk," Legolas said, "Perhaps it will be a welcome reprieve from their repetitive discourses on various councils and alliances."

"I wouldn't want them to--

"I am the Prince," he said, looking at me fondly. "I can do whatever I deem right. And being in your company is high on that list."

I tried to stop smiling so hard; it was making my face hurt. I inclined my head my head towards some other person of importance as they passed. The tapestries shone green and gold, the lanterns shone warmly in the night that slept outside the walls.

"Tomorrow already draws close," Legolas commented. "The dawn will be more beautiful than any other."

"Why?" I frowned, trying to recall names of Elven holidays and trying to figure out if this was what he spoke of.

"Because you will be here to see it," he said, very gently.

*************

"Gianna, ni hathlam hí! (Welcome!)" Tawariel said, smiling, as Faewyn and I ascended the steps into her family's flet in the forest.

"Mae govannen," I said, embracing her. Faewyn's father, Calathir, with jet black hair and a stern face, also came to greet me.

Legolas came next, and he and Calathir greeted each other like old friends as we sat and spoke of what had come to pass.

"It is a great honour to have all of you here with us on this night," Calthir said. "It amazes me how much was accomplished by your labours."

"Gianna," Tawariel said, "I recall when you were young, such a little one, and I cannot believe my eyes to see you so grown."

"Time passes for us all," I agreed. "As such, there is something I must say. I... I cannot stay in Middle-earth, and in fact tomorrow marks the last full day I will have here. I only ask... that you remember me in your hearts always, as I will remember you."

To my surprise, neither Tawariel nor Calathir looked surprised, but rather looked at me with sad understanding.

"The most beautiful flowers are the ones who fade the soonest," said Tawariel. "But it is their beauty and spark which makes them more memorable than those which stay on forever."

**********

The stars were brighter than a thousand tiny suns, and the velvet sky was black.

"I will never sleep again if it means I don't have to wake up to tomorrow."

"The sun and the moon can never be together, and yet they remain in the same sky."

"Is life so unjust?"

"Life is also just."

"What justice is there in this?"

"Truth. The truth is the truth, despite its sharp edges. You are not of this world and it would surely devastate yours if you were to leave it behind forever."