Lasting Impressions

There was an unexpected sense of calm I felt as we walked down the winding paths of the city.

We got a few curious looks as we passed, given our array of clothing and obvious favour with the king, but most people left us alone.

Maldor found a healer who was selling hundreds of herbs I didn't even recognise, but he knew what he was doing. 

"This may be a while," he said, "But I'll meet up with you soon."

Faewyn and I nodded and continued down the winding cobblestones admiring the bright cloth, fragrant herbs and interesting trinkets that caught our eye as we ambled by.

"So you have caught the eye of the Prince of Mirkwood?" Faewyn casually mentioned along the way.

I tripped over a stone. "What? No! Nothing. I mean--" I faltered and looked at her.

A triumphant gleam was in her eyes. "I knew it," she said with satisfaction. "It was so obvious."

"Really?" I cringed. "I was trying not to let anyone know--" I trailed off as she stared at me with a raised eyebrow. "What?"

"I meant it was obvious he had feelings for you, not the other way around! But now I know."

She winked and ducked as I tried to playfully smack her.

"This is just a wild fantasy, nothing more." I told her.

"I don't think it is," she remarked, surprised.

"Am man? (Why?)" I asked, switching to Sindarin. "Faewyn, ni ú-edhel, dorthon mi haeron amarannath. Han ava--(Faewyn, I am not an elf. I live in distant lands. That will never--)"

She interrupted me.

"Thent lû (For short time)," she told me.

"Han ú-iston (That I doubt)" I said bitterly. "Ped-ci ú. Gwestog (Don't tell. Do you promise)?" I pressed.

"Nô, mellon nin (Yes, my friend)," she assured me.

It was nigh on afternoon when Maldor appeared, and awkward Legolas conversations non withstanding, it was turning out to be a lovely day.

"Greetings, my friends," Maldor said in a low voice.

"Hello," Faewyn smiled. "Did you find all that you sought?"

"And more," he answered with a small laugh. "But I must tell you something. There seems to be someone following us, and they have been for a while."

I looked quickly behind me, and seeing nobody out of the ordinary, frowned at him.

"I don't see anyone," I told him. "Who do you mean?"

Maldor glanced around. "He is tall, dark haired, green eyed, and walks humbly clothed but with great purpose. He has gone, for now."

"Maldor, you are more watchful than the great hunting hounds of Valinor," Faewyn teased, but her eyes flicked uneasily behind us ever so often.

Without further incident, we turned into a small shop set up in the shadow of the city. The shade was refreshing, but turned into palatable tension as Faewyn stiffened. "Is that him, Maldor?" she said, narrowing her eyes at the man who walked in after us.

Maldor nodded mutely. "Do not act as if anything is amiss," he warned. "Maybe this is an unlikely coincidence."

"Or it isn't, as I see that she who I seek is present here," said a deep voice from behind us.

Maldor tensed, drawing a short blade.

"So our follower reveals himself," he intoned, staring at him with obvious irritation.