A King's Legacy

I woke.

I woke and Legolas was not there for the first time since the start of this adventure.

That shouldn't have bothered me, but it did.

"He'll be back around noon," Maldor said without looking down. He was packing something in his saddlebags.

"Why are you telling me?" I asked.

"You were wondering," he said, as if it were obvious.

"Can you read my thoughts?" I asked him with some curiosity.

"It doesn't take much to learn the expression one has towards a certain person," he said with a small laugh.

Well, that's awkward.

"Oh." I said with finality, not knowing what else to say.

"We'd better get onto higher ground to be able to see any possible arrivals into the city," Maldor said thoughtfully as he lightly brushed last night's ashes away with the side of his boot.

"Why would it matter?" I furrowed my brow.

"In the case the King arrives," he shrugged. "Either way, that takes us closer to the city in case there is no other alternative."

"Alternative to what?"

"Escape," he said, his tone darkening.

"Maldor, what would we possibly need to-"

"Get on your horse," he said suddenly. "I knew this would happen."

Somehow I had swung onto Eärlin and I was hurtling towards the city gates at an uncanny speed.

"Maldor!" I shouted frantically. "What is going on?!"

I looked behind me and saw him and his grey mare gaining on us.

"Nothing yet," he said through gritted teeth. "But they are coming quickly upon us."

"Who?" I said desperately, clinging onto Eärlin's mane.

"The same who attacked Gilron," he panted, looking back quickly. His green eyes narrowed and his horse slowed. I could now see a disarrayed mass of...shapes, becoming larger and larger as they moved across the area.

"Keep riding," he said, before stopping completely. I slowed Eärlin and turned to watch Maldor gallop in the opposite direction. I saw him raise his bow and a few of the creatures fell, toppling the rearguard. Eärlin turned and looked at me crossly, pawing the ground.

"Yes, I know, we have to go," I said anxiously, "I just...hold on." He flicked his ears back and neighed.

Without warning, the advance turned away from the city and the lone elf wheeled around his mount and cantered over.

"They think I'm alone," he said with relief in his voice.

"That's a good thing?" I said incredulously. "I'm surprised they didn't impale you like they did Gilron."

"They're not interested in killing," he said grimly. "We must go into the city, lest they return."

"Then why did you bother to use a few arrows?" I asked curiously.

"They know that they cannot go against an armed Ellon with so few numbers," he said. "It was a warning, nothing more."

I sighed and faced the view of Gondor.

"Why did you halt?" he asked.

"I wasn't going to just leave you there to suffer the same fate as Gilron," I said, half seriously.