Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Cullen stood with his back against the door to the Main Hall. The servants would soon be arriving with the water. Maker, he had to have made a fool of himself. Of course, she wouldn't need to have her bath near the fire to keep it warm.

Sighing, he pushed off the door. He had only wanted to be sure her quarters were ready. Yes, a servant could have done it, but he wanted to be sure it was perfect. He wanted her comfortable when she told him about what had happened to her. Maker, it still filled him with dread at the thought of her tale.

He began to walk up the staircase. The wall that had fallen had been prepared, but there were stones still littering the stairs. Scaffolding still stood along the wall. Hopefully, the workers would be taking them down soon. Why hadn't they made certain the wall were very sound before allowing Lexi upstairs?

Shaking his head, Cullen placed his head on the doorknob. Was he truly ready to hear her tale? He still feared that some Templar had gone too far with her.

Opening the door, he frowned. If a Templar had gone too far, what would he do? What could he do? It wasn't as if he could go after them. He had a job to do here, of course.

He walked up the stairs to find Lexi standing on the balcony that overlooked the mountains.

Walking the short distance to the opened door, Cullen prayed she wouldn't notice his fear, "the water should be up soon."

She turned and smiled at him, "thank you. Now, why are you up here preparing my quarters? I know you had plans for today."

Cullen sighed, "I wanted to return the favor, Lexi. You always come and make sure I've got everything I need."

"I do that for everyone."

"True, but..."

"Cullen, I spend time making sure you've warm because of that massive hole in the roof of your tower."

He began to rub the back of his neck, "I forgot about that."

Lexi sighed, "I'm sending workers to fix it." She smiled at him again. "I can't have the Commander getting sick now. Can I?"

Cullen lowered his hand, "Lexi, stop."

She frowned at him tilting her head slightly, "stop what? Cullen, what's wrong?"

He walked out onto the balcony, "Lexi, stop for just a moment worrying about me. I appreciate it, truly I do."

"Cullen?"

He walked over and took hold of her hands, "I know you have Cassandra or Dorian watching me. I know you make sure I eat. Maker, you would try to be sure I sleep, if you could find a way without magic." He took a deep breath, "tonight is not about you taking care of me. It's me taking care of you."

Lexi's eyes widen a bit, "is this about me not telling you what happened in Ostwick?"

"Yes and no. I wanted to show you that I appreciate what you've done for me."

"Cullen, it wasn't a Templar."

Cullen held onto her hands tighter but remained silent.

Lexi smiled weakly at him, "Cullen, I know you're worried about me. I know you appreciate the things I do. I really don't need you doing all this to show it."

Cullen shook his head, "not going to work, Lexi. You can not do everything you do and then not allow me to do the same for you."

Lexi began to bite her lip slightly, "Cullen."

He gave her a smile, he hoped was reassuring, "Lexi, let me take care of you awhile. If you wish to tell me your tonight, you will."

"You're trying to make me feel bad about pestering you about what was wrong aren't you?"

Cullen tilted his head slightly, "maybe."

A knock came at the door followed by, "Inquisitor, we have your water, Ma'am."

Cullen released Lexi's hands and turned to face back into the room. He walked inside, leaving Lexi standing on the balcony alone.