Chapter 16

Below her the training yard was full. Cullen hadn't told her of any new recruits. Were the soldiers trying to blow off some steam?

Lexi sighed. There was a slight chance it had nothing to do with the soldiers. No, it more than likely had to do with a certain armor less Commander, who was currently sparring against Cassandra. She really needed to tell him her tale.

She looked up at the torn sky. So far Corypheus hadn't made any new moves. Thus giving them all a chance to breathe for a moment.

"Alexandra, those fools refused to listen to my orders."

Closing her eyes, Lexi took a deep breath. Now to deal with the dragon in their mist.

Slowly she opened her eyes and turned to face her mother, "Mother, they are following my orders."

Her mother frowned, "Alexandra, are you trying to overstep..."

"I have the final say here, Mother. Not you. As I've told you, you are to help Josephine and with the day to day things with the Castle its self, but if it has to do with the soldiers or anything to do with the war please stay out of it."

"Have you finished, Alexandra?"

"I've given the order that unless they are servants or the Kitchen Staff, they are not to follow your instructions."

Her mother huffed, "Well, I never..."

Lexi walked up to her, "Mother, I'm trying to save the world. I don't have the time nor the energy to fight you as well."

Her mother sighed, "I'm sorry, Alexandra. I thought I was helping."

"I know, but I can't have you trying to disrupt Leliana's people. They need to blend in so they are able to keep us safe."

Her mother's eyes widen slightly, "they've sent assassins?"

Lexi sighed. Corypheus hadn't, but the House of Repose had gotten in to go after Josephine. So there was that. "I wouldn't put it past them."

Her mother gave out a long sigh, "all right. I'll speak to your ambassador."

"I truly do appreciate the help, but you have to remember we're at war."

She nodded, "I know. I'm reminded every time that thing on your hand glows." Lysandra gave a weak smile, "I'll to not overstep again."

"Thank you," Lexi nodded.

"Now about that Commander of yours?"

"Mother, it does not concern you," Lexi braced herself for what would surely come next.

"I like him, but please tread carefully."

"How much do you know?"

Her mother shrugged, "enough. Alexandra, I may have had to hand you over, but I never stopped worrying about you."

"I am being careful."

"I hope so," her mother frowned.

After giving a final nod, her mother smiled, "well I'll leave you to your thoughts. When are you planning to head out again?"

"In a few days. I would hold it off with Cullen's family coming but..."

"There's a job to do. I'll be here to great them in your place if they arrive while you're gone."

"Thank you."

"Well, I'll truly leave you now. Get some rest while you can and not just watch a certain commander," smiling, her mother left her alone in her quarters.

With the click of the lock, Lexi sighed. This tip had better be worth it.