Chapter 14

Everything seemed to be going wrong the last few days. First, a part of the wall close to her quarters had fallen, leaving Lexi to find somewhere else to sleep. Then there had been the cave in of the mine that they were using for stone. No one had gotten hurt. Thank the Maker, but they had lost a valuable resource. Finally came the news that shocked almost everyone.

"I can't believe they are seriously thinking of making Seeker Pentaghast Divine."

"What about Sister Leliana? She's only a lay sister."

Lexi shook her head as she walked past the two gossiping Orlesians. The news that Cassandra and Leliana were both being considered to be the next Divine had come as a shock to say the least, but Lexi hadn't been completely surprised by the news. No one else was trying to repair the damage from the Conclave. Well, except for her, but they would never allow a mage on the Sunburst throne.

Standing in front of Josephine's desk, she was dealing with one last annoying issue.

"Josephine, no more. Neither Cullen nor I are going to entertain the offers. So please stop sending them to us. Please just always send a polite refusal."

Josephine nodded, "of course, Inquisitor. I will begin writing the refusals immediately."

Lexi sighed, "I'm sorry, Josephine. Everything lately has me on edge, and these damn marriage offers are starting to get to to me."

"I was fairly sure that you would wish for me to refuse them, but I wanted to be sure first."

Lexi nodded, "I only ask that you send Leliana and I word, if you receive any threats because of the refusals."

"Of course, Inquisitor."

Turning towards the door to the Main Hall, Lexi sighed. The marriage proposals would no doubt grown in number the closer they were to defeating Corypheus.

Opening the door, she walked out into the Main Hall. No one seemed to have noticed her entrance. More than likely they were too busy gossiping about something. Closing the door, Lexi quickly glanced around. No one was near enough to stop her. So she quickly made her way to the door, which lead her to her quarters.

Thank the Maker the masons had finished the repairs late the night before. She could finally sleep in her own bed once more. Of course, after she walked through the bit of rumble on the stairs, but that was nothing compared to some of the things she had to walk around in caves and the Deep Roads.

Smiling, Lexi pushed the door that lead into her quarters. Hopefully the tub was still filled the water she had asked for days ago. With a quick fire spell, she could finally take the nice hot relaxing bath she had been wanting for days.

Walking up the last flight of stairs, she frowned, The candles were lit, but she knew that they had burned out the first night. After all she had watched them go out. Had a servant already come up and cleaned? Lexi stopped at the top of the stairs.

A fire burned in the hearth. New fire wood had been placed in a stack next to the windows. Her bed curtains were opened, and the covers were pulled down slightly.

She walked towards her desk. Sitting in a vase on the corner were some roses. Who would do all of this? No servant would do all of this? Not for her. Not after she got on to them. Not even her mother would had done all of this, not herself at least. She turned to face the stairwell again and noticed the door to the store room was opened. Even from the other side of the room, she could hear someone moving within the small room.

Slowly, Lexi walked to the door. Smiling, she leaned against the door, crossing her arms over her chest. Cullen, minus his almost always present armor and fur, was trying to maneuver around the tub inside the room.

"Maker, how do you move this thing? It feels like it's bolted to the floor, " he whispered trying to lift the empty metal tub.

Lexi shook her head.

Sighing, Cullen stood up, "how am I supposed to move it closer to the fire?"

Lexi uncrossed her arms. Not wanting to frighten him, so she knocked on the wooden door.

Cullen turned around. Upon seeing her, he frowned, "you're earlier than I was expecting."

"I didn't know I had a schedule, Commander."

Cullen sighed, "Lexi."

She smiled at him, "it is bolted to the floor. I only need the servants to bring the water. I can warm it with a spell. So no need for it to be moved to in front of the fire."

Cullen reached behind his neck, "I hadn't thought of that."

Lexi moved away from the door and towards him, "when are the servants arriving with the water?"

Cullen turned slightly red, "I was actually going to do that myself."

"Ah, well I can leave and come back later, if you wish."

Lowering his arm, Cullen frowned, "you don't need to. I'll just go ask a servant to do it." He began to walk towards the door.

Shaking her head, Lexi took hold of his hand, stopping him, "I can do it. I was already going to take a bath."

Cullen gave a slight smile, "I failed didn't I?"

Lexi shook her head, "Cullen, I truly appreciate you doing all this. I was just going to use the old water in the tube and more than likely work on something after that."

"I'll go ask for the water, Lexi. You haven't been able to relax in days," he pulled her hand up and gave it a quick kiss, "and no working while I'm gone." He released her hand walked past her.

Lexi turned shaking her head. He was up to something. Cullen hadn't learned she knew when he was up to something. What was her commander planning?