"Looking at him reminds me of when Jack was a baby," he commented. "I remember the first time I held him. He was so tiny I was afraid I would drop him. It took quite a bit of coaxing from Carter before I was comfortable enough to even attempt it."

"Would you like to hold Patrick?" I asked him.

"He looks content where he is." He winked at me, which meant he was about to make one of his goofy comments. "Can't say I blame him. Any male would be content in your arms."

I snorted. "Come sit down." Reed joined me on the couch. I gently placed Patrick in his arms, showing him how to support his little head. The baby made a fuss for a minute and then calmed down. The sight of a big strong man holding a tiny baby evoked in me emotions I had no name for. I swallowed hard. "You're a natural."

"If the board of directors could see me now." Reed smirked. "They wouldn't believe it. Don't spit up on me, kiddo."

I started to say something when the phone rang. Reaching over, I grabbed the cordless from the end table. "Hello."

"Hello," a male voice said. "May I please speak to Ms. Winifred Monroe?"

"This is she," I responded.

"Good morning, Ms. Monroe," he said. "This is Bob Pratt with the Pratt Cancer Research Institute. I was wondering if you had time to meet with me this morning."

"I have some free time from nine to nine-thirty," I informed him.

"Nine o'clock would be fine," Mr. Pratt said. "I'm sure you are curious as to why I want to meet with you. It has to do with your employer, Mr. Drummond. I will explain further when we meet. I look forward to talking with you."

"You, too." We said goodbye and I hung up.

"Who was on the phone?" Reed asked, making faces at the baby.

"No one important." I sat there, watching Reed with the baby, and wondering what Mr. Pratt wanted.

The elevator came to a halt and the doors parted. I stepped out and made my way down the long corridor. At the end, I opened a plate glass door and entered a large reception area. A woman was sitting behind a desk talking on the phone. As I drew near, she hung up and smiled at me.

"How may I help you?"

"I have an appointment with Mr. Pratt," I answered. "My name is Winifred Monroe."

"One moment, please." She picked up the receiver and pushed a button. "Ms. Monroe is here to see you, sir." She paused. "Yes, sir." She returned the receiver to the base. "You may go in."

I thanked her and then let myself into the office. Mr. Pratt, who was an elderly man probably in his seventies, slowly rose to his feet and moved around the desk. He held out his hand and I clasped it firmly.

"Thank you for agreeing to meet with me on such short notice," he said.

"You're welcome." We sat down in chairs that were located in front of the desk. "I understand you want to talk to me about Mr. Drummond."

"Yes." He crossed his legs and folded his hands in his lap. "I'm not sure if he has told you, but next week I'm holding a charity event. The money raised will help in our search for cures for various types of cancer."

I nodded. "Mr. Drummond has told me about the event. He and I both are planning to attend and give our support."

"It would be greatly appreciated." Mr. Pratt cleared his throat. "I don't have to tell you that Mr. Drummond has been generous with his time and money. Without his help, we would be far behind in our research. He has opened many doors for us and we would like to show him our gratitude. At the event I would like you to present him with an award."

"You want me to give him an award." I willed myself to stay calm and not panic. "In front of a room full of people. Shouldn't you give it to him?"

"I could." He smiled at me. "But I think it would mean more to him if it came from you. He thinks very highly of you, Ms. Monroe. Surely you could give a little speech and then present him with the plaque I had made."

The man was crazy. He wanted me to get up in front of a room full of strangers and talk about Reed. I hated public speaking. My heart began to pound in my chest and my mouth went dry. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. I thought of Reed. He was a good man and deserved to be honored for his generosity. "Okay, I'll do it."

Mr. Pratt beamed. "Excellent. I have one more request. Please keep this between us. I want him to be surprised."

Oh, he would be surprised alright. I just hoped I didn't make a fool of myself and do something stupid. God, what have I gotten myself into?