Vikklan- Girlfriend

Start from the beginning

The day I went back to school with tired eyes and an empty stomach Lachlan ran up to me, closely followed by her. She was glaring at me and seemed almost disappointed that I had finally decided to show myself again. Lachlan hugged me.

"Oh my god Vikk! Where the hell were you!" I stared at him, bewildered and angry. I tore his arms off me and stormed away, much to her excitement and his confusion.

"Leave me alone Lachlan!" I screamed, running away.

I wasn't going to school that day.

---------------------------------------------------

I got multiple texts over the day, which I spent at home curled up on my bed. I cried, not eating, not drinking, I physically didn't have the strength or the energy to move anymore.

Vikk? Please, I need to talk to you. sent at 8:45am

Why aren't you at school? Did you go home? sent at 9:09am

Please Vikk, was it something I said? I didn't mean to upset you, I just want to make sure that you're okay. sent at 10:16am

I've dumped her. You probably knew from the start, didn't you? She cheated, she left me in the dust. sent at 10:58am

Was it her Vikk? She dragged me away from you but I thought you had the other boys? What happened? sent at 11:41am

I want you to know that I'm so sorry. I should have seen that you were falling but I didn't do anything. Please, forgive me? sent at 12:30pm

read at 3:24pm.

You're so naïve Lachlan. There's no point in begging for forgiveness because I had none to give you. You should have thought about me before. I hope you're happy. sent at 4:28pm

read at 4:28pm.

Please Vikk! Just give me a chance to explain myself or something! Anything! sent at 4:30pm

read at 4:57.

Vikk? Error: message not delivered.

We're sorry, the number you are trying to reach has been disconnected. For more information, go to www.number.com/disconnected/.

read at 5:03.

"Maybe one day you'll understand how much you hurt me Lachlan."

Lachlan's P.O.V.

3 Years Later.

3 years passed in the blink of an eye and suddenly I had graduated high school and was wandering with no direction to my life. I didn't know what I was going to with my life and I just worked minimum wage in a supermarket while I tried to work out what I wanted to do.

Vikk had disappeared from my life on that day, leaving me with a simple text and so many unanswered questions. It took me years to admit that it was my fault, that I didn't seem him falling and because she was there, I didn't help. She hadn't wanting me to hang out with him and so I hadn't noticed when he didn't show up to school, when he got reprimanded by the teacher for not doing his work or the huge bags under his eyes.

I was walking home from work one evening with my earbuds in when I thought I heard something, so I took them out and looked around. I stopped when I heard a tiny sniffle and turned to look down the alley beside me which was where the noises were coming from.

"Hello?" I called, stuffing my phone in my pocket. "Who's there?"

The cries stopped and I paused, considering just leaving. But then they sniffled again and I knocked all of those thoughts from my head, I couldn't just leave whoever it was alone and upset, curled up in a dark alley on their own.

I slipped down the alley, looking around me because I was still sceptical about how safe I was going down a dark alley on my own. At first I didn't see anything or anyone but as I crept closer I saw someone curled up, partially hidden by a dumpster, almost motionless. At first I thought they were dead, and I panicked.

I crouched down by their side and placed a hand gently on their shoulder, making sure to keep a little distance. They startled and pulled away, crying out in surprise and in fear but when they raised their head, or when he raised his head, I knew who it was.

"Vikk?" I asked, my eyes wide with surprise. Why was one of the people I had known the best curled up in an alleyway on the streets, barely moving on from what I could tell, on the verge of death.

Vikk eyed me from the ground but I quickly realised that he was too weak to move, he was staring at me through half lidded eyes and his breathing was slow and laborious, making my heart race.

"Are you okay Vikk?" I whispered, watching as his lip started to tremble. Looking into his eyes I could tell that he was in immense pain and when I looked him over I saw the awkward way he was holding his arm. "Oh my god come here."

I scooped him up in my arms and despite his protests, he tried to squirm but I refused to let him go, and carried him out into the street, placing him back down underneath the streetlight so I could see better. He was dirty and tired looking, his clothes were old and worn and he looked exhausted, confirming my thoughts that he had been sleeping rough for quite a while.

There were bruises on his face and I gently moved the arm he was holding, watching for his reaction. He winced and his face screwed up in pain but he didn't cry out, assuring me that it wasn't broken and probably either bruised or sprained.

I pulled up his sleeve gingerly and squeezed his hand, running my fingers down his arm to make sure nothing was seriously wrong. Nothing seemed to be but he winced, unsure whether to pull away or not and I could tell he didn't want me to touch him.

"How... how did you find me?" He whispered, looking away.

"Chance. I didn't even know you were still in the country. I thought you left in 10th." He shook his head, letting me pull him a little closer.

"I never left. Dad pulled me out of school when he realised I wasn't going anymore and I just never went back, I was 16 so it wasn't illegal." I nodded slowly, unsure of what had happened. He had always had high grades and surely me leaving hadn't had that big of an effect on him, so why had he dropped out? He was so much ahead of him.

"How did you end up here then?" I breathed, feeling him sniffle. He was crying again, tears dripping down his cheeks.

"Mum and dad found out that I was gay." He whispered, hardly daring to say it. "They kicked me out last month." He gasped and then burst into tears, resting his chin on his chest and curling up on myself. I held him close.

"It's okay Vikk, it's okay."

He cried, rocking back and forth. He looked so desperate and broken and my heart broke for him because I knew that it was partly my fault that he was on the streets like this and it was her fault too. If he hadn't left school, and he had left because of me, then his parents might not have found out and then he might not have ended up on the streets.

I wasn't completely sure how, but somehow our lips ended up together, I was kissing him and he was kissing me. I wasn't sure who had made the first move, it could have been either of us but what I did know was that neither of us pulled away.

I moved away first, gasping for breath and Vikk lowered his eyes, bright red but also smirking a little.

"That's payback." He said through the tears that were still rolling gently down his cheeks. He wiped them away, sniffling, and I placed a thumb on his cheek, rubbing his skin gently. He gave me a strained smile.

"I guess it is."

And as we sat on the cold concrete ground under a streetlight at 11pm on a cold and dark night, something felt right. I felt that things would be okay for the both of us one day, Vikk would find a home and I would find my place in life and a direction to go in.

One day, things would be better.