Poofless- Earthquake

Rob's P.O.V.

I awoke, screaming. The ground was shaking as if the entire house was on a rollercoaster and it terrified me because this wasn't what was supposed to be happening. I could hardly stand, the ground throwing me back to the ground again as I struggled to stand.

Behind me I heard a terrified scream and I turned to see Preston, his eyes wide with fear, sitting up in bed as everything shook around him. I ran back to him and took his hand, pulling him from the bed and to the doorway, where I tried to protect him as much as possible.

He was crying, clinging to my shirt as I braced myself against the doorway, my teeth knocking against each other. With one hand against the wall and the other holding on Preston in a vice-like grip we stayed there, frozen in fear until the shaking began to fade.

I could hear things smashing and falling to the ground downstairs, not at all calming my racing heart. Things got even worse when I saw our digital clock across the room cut out, indicating that the power had gone out and something outside our house had gone terribly wrong.

Preston cried out in fear as lamp fell off the desk behind us, his arms tightening around my waist. I let out an almost silent whimper, trying not to show my fear to the already terrified Preston and scare him even further.

"R-Rob?" His voice shook and I barely heard him over the rumbling of the earthquake. "I'm sc-scared. What's happ-happening?"

He yelped in fear and I jumped as there was a huge thump and I turned to see the three shelved wooden bookcase lying flat on the ground behind us. It was only a few metres behind us and I shuddered to think what could have happened if we were standing beside it.

"It's okay Preston, we're okay." I tried to keep my voice level but I heard the shaking that came with my speech.

The shaking slowed to a stop after a few minutes even though it felt like years, but after we could move without falling to the ground I tugged Preston out of the room. I pulled him downstairs hurriedly, avoiding the smashed pottery and china on the floor, and then out through the front door.

Preston clung to me, his hands trembling and tears falling from his eyes.

There were neighbours out in the road, one of them gestured us over to the huddle of people standing in the middle of the road. Preston was shivering and one of the neighbours noticed it because smiled and nudged his shorter friend, who gave Preston a blanket. He smiled.

"Hi, I'm Vikk." Preston smiled, pressing himself firmly into my side, rocking from side to side to lift his bare feet from the cold pavement.

"I'm Rob and this is Preston." He nodded. He was quite short and had a huge armful of blankets, which he was handing out to those who hadn't thought things through.

"Nice to meet you." He paused, looking around for his friend. "That's Lachlan." Lachlan heard his name from where he was standing with another few neighbours and nodded. "We've been through an earthquake before so we know what it's like. There's likely to be aftershocks within th-"

As he spoke the ground started to wobble again and Preston froze, desperately digging himself into my side. I hugged him tightly.

To my surprise, Vikk and Lachlan led the neighbours into sitting on the ground where it was more stable and although the ground was still rocking, I could think. Preston dug his head under my chin, desperate to get out of the nightmare that was happening before our eyes.

"It's okay, it's okay." Vikk heard my whispering to Preston and he smiled.

"It's gonna be a bit confusing and scary until the morning but it'll all be sorted. Do you know if your house is damaged in any way?"

"There's a couple of things fallen over but I don't know." He nodded.

"If you don't think there's any serious damage go inside, you probably won't be able to sleep but just distract yourself until morning. Then you can start doing some work if needed." I nodded discreetly, tugging on Preston's hand. He handed the blanket back to Vikk.

"Thank you." He whispered. Vikk smiled, inclining his head.

"I'll see you in the morning if you need any help." He nodded towards the house opposite ours. "That's mine and Lachlan's house, come see us if you need any help." I nodded in thanks, pulling Preston back towards our house.

I turned on the lights as I entered, wincing at the china littering the floor over by the shelf. Preston skirted around it, tugging my hand and pulling me into the living room where I noticed the lights from the television box.

"Hey the power's back on, awesome." He nodded silently, standing uncertainly in the middle of the room. "Let's just watch TV okay, pass the time until the morning. We aren't gonna get anymore sleep with these aftershocks."

Just as I spoke the ground started to shake slightly again. Preston whimpered, his hands held out in front of him as he wobbled unsteadily on his feet, his eyes looking to me for comfort.

"You're okay, come here." He ran into my arms, hugging me tightly. "We're okay Preston."

I carded my hand through his hair, directing him to the couch where we settled in a somewhat comfortable position, Preston still shaking in fear. I turned the TV on.

"We can report that a 7.6 earthquake has struck Toronto, Canada. Residents are urged to evacuate areas of high density for fear of building collapse as several inner city buildings have already collapsed with a mounting death toll expected."

Preston froze up, his eyes fixed on the news reporter.

"The extent of the damage is unknown right now but it is expected that there is millions of dollars worth of damage that may spread with the following aftershocks. Those resident who are not evacuated are urged to stay inside, check for damage and contact family members."

"Power cuts are widespread with up to 50% of Toronto currently without power and emergency shelters are being opened in schools and churches for those who have been evacuated from their homes. Goodnight Canada, stay safe."

"People have died?" I nodded.

"Yes. We just have to stay here for now, stay warm. We can always go over to Vikk and Lachlan's if we need too." He nodded, pulling the blanket off the top of the couch and tightening it around his shoulders.

"We'll stay in the warm for now and see what happens tomorrow, okay?" I got a slight nod in reply.

"Can we stay out here please? I don't want to go to sleep."

"That's fine. I don't want to sleep either." He settled his head in the crook of my neck, his gaze fixed on the television which was playing a repeat of the same message. I switched it to cartoons, with a more light hearted message.

"Night Pressy." His lips quirked into a smile.

"Night Robby."