Chapter 4 - Success

Chapter 4 – Success

“Mr Hendriks, Leto is needed in the principal’s office when she’s done with her exam.”

One of the Grade seven’s delivered the message. Leto had two more questions in her Life Science paper, but there was still plenty of time. The exam room was silent except for the scratching of pens on paper and Mr Hendriks’ footsteps as he paced the class. He nodded to the boy, who took it as a dismissal and returned to his break. She finished the questions, glanced over her other answers and filled in a forgotten label on her diagram of the kidney. There was fifteen minutes until the exam ended, but she handed in her paper, collected her stationery and left for the office.

The principal had his office near the school’s entrance. It overlooked the soccer field and quad, where he could observe any misdemeanours before they occurred. The secretary waved her through and continued her phone conversation. Wondering what the cause was, Leto knocked on the door and waited.

Once admitted, she took the seat offered and smiled politely.

“I got a fax about the Maths Olympiad you wrote.”

“Yes, sir?”

“It was the results. Thirteen students progressed to the second round – I’ll announce all the names in assembly – but you came in the top 100 in your grade. Congratulations.”

She inhaled sharply. A bubble of surprise and euphoria rose inside her. She tried to resist the impossibly large grin that threatened to surface.

“I...I did?”

“Ja, Leto, you did. The organisers are having a preliminary prize-giving. They’re just going to hand out certificates, I think. You’re invited.”

He slid a page across his desk to her.

“That’s got all the details. I expect you to be in full school uniform. I’ll be there, so let me know if you need a lift to the venue.”

She clutched the page to her chest, barely glancing at the information.

“Thank you so much, sir,” she breathed. “I can’t believe this.”

She allowed the grin out. She had the sudden urge to dance around the office.

“It’s no problem. Have a look at that, and let me know about the transport by Friday.”

He looked at his wristwatch.

“The bell will ring in about five minutes. It won’t hurt if I dismiss you now. Go, celebrate the good news with your friends. I’ll see you.”

“Goodbye, sir!”

She danced all the way to the school gates. She regained her composure and strode to the primary school; the smile hadn’t left her face.

“Hey Leto!”

She turned around. Warren was breathless from running to her.

“What’s up?”

“Mr Hendricks gave us the marks for our maths test. You beat Jillian by one percent.”

“Jillian can’t be too happy about that...”

“She doesn’t know...Mr Hendricks would like to keep it like that for all of our sanity. Why are you so happy, by the way? It’s good to see a smile on your face. It really suits you. I don’t think I’ve seen one since the thing with Aaron...”

The mention of the name cut through her happiness like lighting across storm clouds. She let the sadness crush against her walls and it flickered out. The smile returned to her face.