[7] "Little Dove"

Start from the beginning

She stutters, her face contorting to panic.

"I-you-...the food's ready," she blurts out, grabbing a couple paper plates and plastic silverware.

She loads up omelettes and bacon on both of the plates and slowly slides one in front of me as I take a seat at the counter.

"Sorry for the cheap stuff. I-I wasn't thinking," she shrugs, embarrassment evident in her tone.

I look at the disposable utensils. Just because I'm well off she's embarrassed of her preferences? I furrow my brows, not liking it but not doing anything about it.

"No, I prefer this anyways. It's easier to clean up," I say, taking a bite.

     She looks a little surprised at my lack of care.

"True," she mutters to herself and takes a bite as well.

Goddamn, her cooking is amazing. Little dove is a little chef, huh.

Silence envelopes us for a while as we eat, but I can see her not-so-discreet glances my way out of the corner of her eye. Ire spikes in me and I grind my teeth, rolling everything back.

"Okay you didn't actually break up with Leila, right?" she asks, breaking the silence.

I see her phone blow up with texts probably from her little band of friends. Goddamn, that reminds me to figure out where the hell my phone is. I probably left it in my car since I turned it off to silence Leila's calls and texts.

"I did. And yes, before you ask, I was completely sober," I say, tone void of emotion.

That seems to throw her for a loop.

"What...why? Why would you do that?" she eyes me with the most genuine look of confusion on her face it's actually cute.

She breaks eye contact as soon as she meets my eyes.

"Don't play dumb, Raven. I know you hear our fights and all that shit," I say, taking another bite.

She pauses for a moment and that's all the answer I need. She knows.

"Oh," she says meekly, not looking up once.

"It didn't work. I had a plan, but it didn't work," I say.

"That's not enough and you know it," she claps back, sparing me a side glance and seeming like she regrets the words as soon as they come tumbling out because she shrinks, body tense and immediately on guard.

I roll my eyes.

"I called it quits. It didn't work so it wasn't worth putting up with her shit any longer," I say, casually confessing everything.

She drops her fork, the plastic hitting the paper plate with a thud.

     "So no matter how much you love someone...you're not gonna, you know, fight for it?" she asks, voice soft and placating.

If she thinks I'm some wild animal ready to snap any minute...I shake my head. Of course she thinks that way.

All of a sudden, the moment is broken as a knock sounds on the door. Raven jumps, slipping away to answer the door. I ball my hands into fists on the counter.

"Hello...oh hey...come on in," I hear.

Footsteps approach the kitchen.

"Oh, and Archer's here," she says.

"Archer's what-"

I look to see Grant Spalding enter. Not him again, Jesus Christ. Raven thinks he wants to smash Leila, but everyone knows he wants to smash Raven.

"Where's your shirt?" he asks.

Tensions rise immediately and I can tell Raven notices.

"-as I was saying, Archer-"

"Why are you here?" I ask.

His eyes narrow. Mine mirror his and I lazily cross my arms, silently daring him to try anything.

"I actually know, Raven. Shouldn't you be with your girlfriend?" Grant snaps.

I roll my eyes.

"Grant-" Raven starts.

"We broke up," I say, shrugging and enjoying the look on his face.

"Anyways, I'm still on for 2:00 today so can we just talk then?" she asks and turns to Grant, desperation obvious in her tone.

Grant doesn't take his eyes off me as he nods his answer and leaves. Raven follows after him, giving him a few last words and shutting the door.

I lean back against the counter, arms crossed as she comes back in.

"You should probably get dressed and get home?" she says as more of a question, most likely afraid to actually kick me out.

"I'm pretty sure Leila has a few sweatshirts of mine so I can throw one of those on," I say.

"I'll put your sweatshirt in the dryer. I started it in the wash this morning," she says.

That took me by surprise. I know I haven't exactly been the best to Raven, but she's still a decent person.

"Oh, thanks," I say.

"Yeah," she says without making eye contact and leaves.

I sigh, unprecedented anger taking over me as something in me changes. Feelings start to come up—feelings I've long time buried.

• • •

This chapter is shorter, I apologize! I feel like the chapters in Archer's perspective are harder to write so they end up shorter!

Comment your thoughts or predictions for the story!

What do you think Archer's feeling? What's going through his head?

Jasmine Croft xo