CHAPTER 5: MR CEO

Ahlam went straight home after the debacle that transpired between her and Jumada. On reaching the Manor, she alighted her car and strode the driveway towards the main building. She could hear the sound of her head pounding as though it was a drum. Her vision blurred as fury burnt through her body which made the road pitch-black. It was by the grace of God that she didn't trip and fall as she ascended the stairs.

She entered her room and shut the door with the back of her feet, then slowly strode towards her bed. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, she stopped walking. Her jaw went slack. Her eyes glazed over blankly and her head nodded forward.

Next thing — whomp! She collapsed on the floor. She laid there for a while. A few minutes? Hours— Maybe. Her heart raced. She felt empty and estranged. Eventually, she went to the bathroom and performed her wuhdu, that was her salvation— prayers.

Omar, Jumada and somehow Grandpa. What has she done?

Nothing.

But they all treated her with contempt.

Then a voice in her head spoke.

Maybe Omar Jr is in love with you, in a twisted way apparently, he is just protecting you. The spark is there, you felt it too.

Protect her from what though? From the truth.

What truth?

She thought love conquered all.

Maybe she was wrong.

She exhaled softly as her chest rose and fell calmly.

Grandpa Omar Bako, the grey haired old man went to the Dankaka office to see how well she settled, but to his surprise she wasn't there. The receptionist told him she left few minutes after she had arrived. He mottled with rage, but his face was all merry. He was a good actor. You can't depict his truest emotion from his face.

Jumada and his Grandpa where in a board meeting and if Ahlam was around it would be her first.

These children are very unappreciative! Everything I do is for them. I wish my father motivated me to work this hard. Maybe I would be richer than Mansa Musa. Why can't I get good grandchildren like everyone? Why am I even related to these ungrateful filths?

He heaved an impatience sigh as he wiped his stern forehead with a neatly folded handkerchief.

"Are you alright sir?" The receptionist startled him with her questions, he rose his head and smiled then nodded as he strode away. He need everything to work, the deal was supposed to be sealed before the end of the week and nothing further. He knew how Shuaibu Dankaka changes his mind like he changes his cap daily.

When he arrived to the Bako Manor he texted Ahlam to meet him in the front driveway. He had a board meeting himself in the Bako firm but texted Hassan to commence with it before his arrival. He wondered how the Bako clan would continue to exist after his demise, clearly he was the only one who cared religiously for its existence.

Ahlam came down clad in a long blue gown, it was maxi size which allowed her to sway. She wore a polka-dot cap and her face was plain. Her smudged make-up from all the tears was gone. But her eyes were still red and puffy.

"Ina wuni," she said in an abased motion. She knew why she was summoned but played dumb. He smiled at her ruefully, also pretended as if it was hale and hearty.

"How are you Goshin arziki?" he asked her sarcastically.

Ahlam's hands were pressed on her cheeks as she roved with her body, "I'm fine, just a bit tired." Then she gnarled her lips.