~ 49 ~

She felt herself falling at first

She felt herself falling at first. Then she was floating. And then she landed on something soft.

Aleia was afraid to open her eyes. Anaemis had grabbed her so fast, she hardly had time to react. She knew she'd burned him. Because her flames were still ignited. She felt them. Alive and unruly. It acted like a protective shield. It enveloped her in a warm blanket.

"Aleia," came a gentle voice. "You can open your eyes now. You're safe."

Was she truly safe? Or was this one of Anaemis' tricks to make her think she was safe?

"You are truly safe, Aleia."

It was then that Aleia recognized the voice. Cautiously, she opened her eyes and took in her surroundings. Black. Nothing but black.

"Where am I?" she asked, looking around until her gaze come upon that of a beautiful woman. With brilliant auburn hair.

"I apologize, Aleia," the woman said with her hands crossed in front of her waist. "I had not intended for this to happen, but 'twas the only way to avoid Anaemis truly capturing you."

"Who are you?" Aleia changed her question, only then to peer down and see that her clothing was not what she'd been wearing in battle. Instead, she was wearing what she'd seen in old war movies. A yellow-green gown with princess sleeves. The kind that had extra fabric hanging from the wrists.

"I thought you might have recognized me," the woman said with a smile. "I am Alessa. Or rather, I was. That name was retired and I received a new name."

"Like Glint became Twileigh," Aleia nodded. "So, where is Anaemis?"

"Exactly where you sent him,"Alessa waved her hand; a light shone to her left and revealed a large cage. Anaemis stood there, behind bars with chains on his wrists and ankles. And a rope around his neck, but not like a noose. It was more like a threat to his life if he should attempt to escape.

"So, he can't get out?" she asked, wanting a verbal confirmation. "Anerathia is safe now?"

"No," Alessa replied, shaking her head. "He cannot escape, but Anerathia is not yet safe. But it will be, once you've unlocked the secrets that await you."

"Auro will be worried, as will the rest of the kingdom. M-my father, h-he . . ." she trailed off as the memory returned.

"You will see him again, my child. You needn't worry. When you return, you will have a chance to bid him farewell . . . A chance that was lost to me."

She looked at the woman and saw how the words caused her grief.

"You knew my father?"

Alessa's smile was reminiscent, as if thinking of a fond memory.

"I did, until the end," she said, nodding as she motioned for Aleia to follow. "Your father was the most wonderful man I ever knew."

Aleia stood taller, her interest piqued. This woman knew her father. She remembered Auro saying something about the Great War having been many years before anyone in this generation was born. Even many years before her own father was born. But her father had been in that war. He knew the Spirit Queen and she thought of him as her friend. Maybe she would get answers while she was here.

***

"Tell me how Auro's father came to possess the Anerathian throne," Aleia said as she followed the Queen to a river that was so still it seemed frozen or made of glass. "If Auro were related to you, he'd have power of fire. But he doesn't."

Alessa smiled and explained, "My mother married my father, and they ruled Anerathia together. When my mother passed on, my father continued until I was old enough to ascend the throne. Utmjir was prince of Drischire, a neighboring kingdom. My mother had gone to his parents' wedding. She was much younger, not married yet. Utmjir was born the next year.

"I was born quite a many years later. We were good friends when our parents met for peace treaties and such. When I abdicated my right to the throne, the council of elders knew that my . . . my brother, Anaemis, was not fit to rule. Utmjir stepped forward and I asked him to rule in my stead. He accepted, and it is his bloodline that Auro is born from."

Aleia nodded, "That makes sense. So, Auro and I are not distant cousins or anything?"

"No, you would not be his betrothed otherwise."

The two fell silent, watching the peaceful waters.

"Utmjir's soul is still possessing Auro, right?" Aleia asked, looking at Alessa. "How come he hasn't given Auro advice yet?"

"Oh, he will," the woman replied, smiling softly. "Utmjir will guide Auro while he waits for your return. His experience will help your betrothed keep his peace. The manner in your disappearance will have frightened him. The poor boy."

"Yeah, Auro . . . I miss him."

"You will see him again, in due time."

"You've said that."

"And I shall continue to say it until all has been revealed."

"What more can you reveal?" Aleia grew frustrated. "I know Anaemis is your brother. I also know he is my uncle. You said you knew my father. There's a connection in all of this to my mother, but I haven't heard you mention a sister, so . . . Are you my mother?"

Alessa swallowed and the girl saw that she now had tears in her own eyes.

"Yes," she choked out, her mouth trembling. "Yes, I am your mother."