~ 41 ~

The ground shook as massive stones of fire came crashing down

The ground shook as massive stones of fire came crashing down. The soldiers shouted. Swords clashed. Smoke flowed through the clusters of boots. Low. Near the scorched ground. Aleia grunted as she sent flame after flame towards her oncoming attackers. Auro stood with his back to hers. Freezing enemy after enemy.

"Wishing I hadn't brought you here," he said in frustration. "Could have prevented you experiencing this!"

"Wouldn't turn back time for anything," she replied, panting but smiling to herself. "I wouldn't have learned to do this-"

Aleia thrusted her hands forward. Flames flew from her palms. They took root. It formed a wall of fire between them and their attackers. Temperatures rose all around them. Burning flesh sizzled as their attackers tried to pass the blaze.

"This way!" Arcano appeared within the circle, a portal behind him. Aleia and Auro followed him through. They came out near the forest edge. Away from the battle.

"We can't stay here long," Auro said as the rest of their friends appeared. "We cannot leave my father and the army to fight alone."

"But we can get help," Aleia said, still panting for breath. "Is there anyone you know of who can manipulate time?"

"Such abilities are only of legend," Lumin replied, shaking his head.

"Then why does the Queen want me to find someone like that?"

Inanis, Spiris and Kinasha appeared with Arcano from a new portal.

"Her name is Millenis Centuris," Kinasha said; she hadn't known what they were talking about, but her words had shed some light. "We grew up together. But she does not live in Anerathia anymore. Her family moved to Drethia. As far as I know, she is the only one who has such abilities."

Aleia nodded, "We have to find her. I don't know all of what the Queen is trying to show me, but we need to act now."

"I believe I can help with that."

The group looked at the newcomer. A girl with dark hair, a purple veil and fair skin. Beside her was Abrus, the young warlock that Aleia had met with Anaemis, several days prior.

"Twileigh," Spiris greeted the girl with a gentle nod.

Twileigh stared at Spiris and Inanis a long moment, before shifting her gaze to Aleia.

"I was sent to your aid," she went on, stepping closer to Aleia. "I cannot explain it all now. But if you are going to find Millenis Centuris before Anaemis learns of your absence, you must leave now."

"Then I am trusting you," Aleia replied, nodding as she stepped forward and took the girl's hand in her own. "Tell me what I need to know. Only what is necessary right now. You can explain the rest later."

Twileigh nodded, "If you, the Prince and three companions of your choosing leave now, I can take you to Drethia. Abrus can remain with the others and help where needed."

The Prince stepped forward and looked around him.

"You should take Inanis," Lumin stepped forward. "Not that he is not a valuable asset in battle, but I believe you will need him."

"What say the rest of you?" Aleia asked, standing at Auro's side. "I know this would be an opportunity for each of you to escape battle, even for a little while. But all your skills would be better served here."

"I remain here," Kinasha spoke up, squeezing Inanis' hand briefly before stepping away from him. "If I can stay close to the King, I might prevent harm on his life. And Spiris should remain as well. He can tend to the injured."

"I think you should go with only Twileigh," Inanis spoke up, reaching for Kinasha. "I'm not leaving Kinasha."

The two shared a glance, which seemed to settle the matter. Aleia nodded and looked at Auro. He nodded his agreement.

"Be careful," Abrus said, patting Twileigh's shoulder.

"I can handle myself," she replied, snapping a portal into being. "M'lord, m'lady; after you."

"How can you create a portal if you've never left Anerathia before?" Arcano asked, thoroughly impressed.

"I'm just . . . special."

Twileigh smiled and motioned for Aleia to pass in the portal first. The Prince took Aleia's hand. Together, they disappeared through the swirl of color, and Twileigh followed behind them.

***

"Who was she?" Inanis asked Spiris; the brothers were working together to help the injured. "Twileigh?"

"I haven't the slightest idea," his brother replied, shaking his head as he brought the soldier's soul back to his body. "She's young, hardly of age to have manifested."

"Yet, she has the abilities of a Warlock."

"Not just a Warlock, I sensed your skill within her being. But advanced. As in, she's been able to do this skill from beyond death."

"But how? And how did you see or hear her before putting her soul into that body?"

Spiris fell silent, without an answer. Inanis sighed and tugged at the gloves on his hands. It was the only way he could have physical contact with anyone. He hadn't quite figured out how to avoid taking someone's life when touching their skin.

"Something about her," Spiris went on as they walked to the next cot. "Did you feel as if you had met her before?"

"I cannot say that I didn't feel that way," Inanis replied, "But the feeling was barely there. I would have had to be near her longer than a few minutes."

"I suppose . . . She kept looking at you, did you notice?"

"No."

"It was not in a manner that Kinasha might look at you, but it was as if she was waiting."

The concept made Inanis pause. He thought about it a moment, but nothing came to mind. War cries rang from the battlegrounds. The brothers exchanged a glance, and Inanis left to rejoin the battle.