Chapter Twenty Six

Tatsuya Himura grew up with a strong sense of entitlement. This was not entirely his own fault; one is not born believing the pearl inside the world's oyster is theirs and theirs alone.

His mother was the eldest child of Kenta Himura, the chairman of a prestigious publishing company that had been in the Himura family for generations. She had one sister who was four years her junior and a younger brother who was born as she was turning sixteen. That small boy was doted on immensely, especially when her mother passed away some two years later.

Although women's inheritance rights were equal to men's, hopes were still placed on the youngest Himura to inherit the publishing company one day, especially as the eldest daughter was considered too overbearing and disagreeable and the second daughter too naive. Neither women particularly wanted to run the company either, but the eldest was also not happy to hand it over to someone else, even if that person happened to be her blood. And so she carefully suppressed her siblings. Her sister married out of the family, while she made her own husband marry in, so her children would bear the Himura name.

The younger brother became a spoiled waste and happily produced many illegitimate children and not one was officially acknowledged by the family.

However, despite her planning, the eldest Himura could not manage to birth more than one son, Tatsuya. And so her hopes of the company remaining in her bloodline relied on him, the only grandson to bear the name Himura. Granted, there were her cousins children that bore the name, but they did not enter her line of sight.

And so Tatsuya believed he was entitled to inherit the company. He believed he was entitled to bear the title of Prince in school and college and university. He believed he was entitled to be fawned over and worshiped by his classmates. And he believed he was entitled to marry the girl he was betrothed to.

Reality came crashing in during his university days. As his university was an extremely prestigious school, there were naturally many talented Alpha's (and just as many if not more Beta's, however these people never entered Tatsuya's eyes). If Tatsuya wanted to remain at the heights of the pecking order, he would actually have to work hard, his social status was no longer enough. This irked him, but he gritted his teeth as his mother reminded him that these Alphas would become good contacts to have in the future.

It was also around this time that a little known author came to everyone's attention, especially to girls. These bleeding hearts usually so easy to attract with his determination to remain faithful to his young fiancée (not a few were roused to the challenge to replace this unknown female, but who lost and then were made to feel guilty about leading the 'purehearted' Alpha astray) were no longer paying him attention, but were totally wrapped up in the mystery of the author. His profile was brief. He was their age, male and Ryu Kanuga was his pen name.

"So talented, do you think he is an Alpha?"

"He hides his face, he is either unattractive or perhaps too scarred to be shown to the public."

"Hiding such a secret, what accident could have befallen him?"

As was the way of such mysteries, it took on a life of its own and many Alpha and Beta men found themselves dumped as girls swooned beneath their own haunting descriptions... and then it occurred to them. Ryu Kanuga was an exclusive author of Himura Publishings and did not the heir of the company attend their university? And so once more the fickle girls flocked to Tatsuya, but not for the reason he wanted.

In his defence, he did inquire about Ryu Kanuga, but was turned away by his own Grandfather, the old man simply stating that he had his reasons. But the girls were not satisfied, thinking that Tatsuya was being difficult on purpose. Tatsuya grinned and bared with it, after all, no matter that these girls had turned away from him, he still had a fiancée waiting for him.