Chapter Eighteen

"Is that what I think it is?" The chief editor, Henry Callahan, was as abrupt and gruff as always, not respecting Tatsuya's space as he clapped one meaty hand on his shoulder, eyeing the thick envelope upon his desk. How did this beta rise to his position in grandfather's company in the first place? Tatsuya kept his thoughts to himself and instead offered the man a smug smile.

"Yes, that is Ryu-Sensei's completed manuscript for his next book," Tatsuya advised him. The man's small eyes sparkled beneath his thick brows, he was clearly a fan. "I am really excited about this one," Tatsuya added. "I believe it reveals a whole new and as yet unseen side of the writer."

"Really?" The man grinned with anticipation. "I can't wait to read it then. I'll wait to receive it on my desk." Tatsuya agreed with a slight nod and watched as the man walked away.

How unnecessary, he thought, while it was clear the chief editor had final approval, he usually simply signed off the synopsis, only showing added concern with new editors or new authors. Veterans such as himself and Ryu-Sensei ought to be given leeway. Clearly, he just wished to read it before the book was published for release.

Tatsuya finished with the proposal he was dealing with; another author had received a request for a screen adaption for his book. That type of work had always been much more to his liking than Ryu-Sensei's often more controversial approach. More pleasing to the reader, not pushing any unwanted buttons nor causing discomfort due to the author's views. Then he took the proposal and the manuscript and placed them on the chief's desk. The man was currently on a phone call, finally doing his job, Tatsuya was pleased to note.

As for work, Tatsuya had a meeting of his own to go to. One of the editors was due to meet with a potential new author, but the man had fallen ill, so the chief had asked Tatsuya to visit instead. He was reluctant, the script was awful, in his opinion, but the chief saw something in its simplicity and wanted for someone to discuss terms. Well, as long as Tatsuya did not have to deal with the inept author in the long term, he would satisfy the chief's request.

The chief editor did not remain on the phone much longer once the manuscript was placed upon his desk. He hadn't taken it with him earlier as he was not certain that Tatsuya was finished with its final checks. But now it was in his hands, he was quick to devour its contents. Only.. they were not very tasty. In fact, the novel was.. for want of a better word.. bland, unseasoned. As if thrown together by a rookie with a talent for words but lacking a decent plot. The chief editor frowned, placed the manuscript down and after a moment's thought, reached for his phone.

****

Yori was deep inside a literary bubble when his work phone began to ring. He ignored it in favour of rapidly typing the words bursting in his heart and mind, his fingers flying across the keyboard as if possessed. Naturally, after a few moments, the phone stopped making the irritating noise. And then his personal phone rang instead. This did make the man pause, a sense of deja vu washing over him as he reached for it.

He rubbed his eyes, pushing his fingers beneath his glasses as he did and checked the time. It was two in the afternoon. So he hadn't yet pulled another all-nighter. Not that he'd had the chance of late. Ryota loved to pull him away from his laptop with sweet texts and phone calls. The man had been busy recently, with an influx of guests seeking a winter break. There was not an available room left in the hotel until February now.

Yori longed to see him again, they had only been able to spend one evening together since the weekend of Hideaki's wedding. It had been a wonderful evening, just curled up watching old movies on the sofa, eating popcorn and nachos, kissing at random times. Yori would have shyly accommodated Ryota more, but the man was a complete gentleman, clearly wanting more as well, but holding back. He appreciated Ryota's restraint. He also didn't want to simply hop back into bed every time he was with Ryota, sex was not love and Yori wanted love.