Chapter Ten

He's so small," Yori marvelled as he cooed over the squishy bundle in the beta woman's arms. For a woman, who had likely been screaming and cursing in agony not ten hours before, Sierra looked pretty tidy and relaxed at that moment.

The maternity ward had many shared rooms, with four women usually sharing one room; their newborns, for the most part, in cribs beside them. However Sierra and her husband, Carlton, had opted to pay a little extra for a private room. Yori was happy about this, from his own point of view; he didn't have to cross paths with any potential Alpha father's. Goodness knows what trouble his noticeable scent could cause in a place where all men should be paying attention to the mothers of their babies! In fact, if they hadn't have made this decision and he thought about himself before hand, he would have offered to pay for it himself!

"I'll have you know, this one was 9 pounds 1 ounce," Sierra stated. "Not small at all!"  She gave Yori as exasperated expression, which failed to live up to the hardship announced as it melted away at once tiny glance at her son.  Was this how a mother was supposed viewed her child, like a precious treasure from the heavens?

"Is he a beta?" Yori found himself asking, leaning closer to gain a better look.

Sierra gave an exaggerated sigh.  She knew what Yori was thinking.  "Yes," she replied.  "But no matter his gender, I would have loved him just the same.  Even if he had been born an Omega, Yori."  He gave her a soft smile, as if indicating that he wasn't thinking about the rejection of his own birth at all, but she knew him better than that.  He hadn't spoken of his past, just once mentioned that his birth family hadn't wanted him, but she had read his early books and the unwritten words within them.  "Want to hold him?"

"Can I really?" Yori asked.

"Wasn't that part of the deal?" Sierra reminded him.  He had voiced his conditions when accepting Himura junior as his new editor, one had been to give the baby a hug.

"I wasn't serious," he said jokingly, but Sierra heard the nervousness in his tone as she moved in the bed to an easier position to hand him her son.  "And besides, I thought your husband would get jealous," he added, teasingly.

"Do you know what that man is doing now?" She asked as the baby settled in Yori's arms.  "He is calling everyone he knows, even a few he has not spoken to in years to let them know that he, at the grand age of 39, is a father.  Trust me, there will be much jealousy, but he will not be the one suffering it.  Anyone would have thought that he had been the one to give birth!"

The little one stared at Yori through hazy blue eyes, before yawning and drifting off to sleep.  A sweet scent, unique to newborns, drifted from the boy's soft skin and tickled Yori's senses.  "He smells so sweet," Yori commented aloud, there was a slight tugging of heartstrings and a small longing welling within him.  Sierra smiled as she watched him smile, his eyes filled with nothing but her son.

"Arthur," she murmured, softly.  "His name is Arthur Yori Londis."

"What?" The man before her became lost for words, water blurred his vision.  Why? What would her husband have to say about that? Those words were not spoken, instead his mouth opened and closed voiceless like a goldfish.

As if reading his mind, Sierra mentioned; "Actually, that was Carlton's idea.  You know, Yori, you are very much part of our family."  The tears that threatened to spill now did, though only two single trails slipped over his cheeks, his glasses fogged slightly.

Carefully adjust his hold on the little boy, Yori quickly wiped away the tears and gave Sierra a sheepish smile.  "Thank you," he told her, before covering his embarrassment with a laugh.