Chapter 34 : Clean Slate

"Rob..." She whispered.

I stood there a few feet away from her.  We were face to face after almost two years.  For a moment I almost lost my footing at the intensity of her stare. I was so sure of myself when I saw them came in earlier.  I was so sure I'd be able to handle this assumed civility.

"Hello Kristen..." I smiled at her pleasantly.

Now, I'm just lost for words and stood there like an idiot not knowing how to respond to her presence.

I looked at her and was amazed how she looks so much better now. Her hair was long again and back to their natural color, her face was entirely void of make up which made her look younger than her 25 years.

I swallowed, fully comprehending the gravity of something I had planned to do, questioning if it was the wise course to take.

We stood there looking at each other for what seems like a lifetime, no words spoken, only silence. Silence, we haven't shared for such a long time.

Kristen looked surprised at first, but the softening of her glance and the slow smile that I know will take over that face in a few seconds, confirmed that I was a welcome presence.

"Oh Rob..." She started to say and move towards me.

"Honey! Where are you?" A high-pitched voice sounded just a little farther away from us.  It wasn't as far as i wanted it to be that moment though.

Kristen stopped in her tracks, wavering after hearing company.

My heart thudded. Wrong timing.

"Honey! Rob! Where are you?" Now the voice was a little closer, which means he has to think fast.

He looked behind to check if his date was anywhere close to finding him, she wasn't yet.

He turned back to Kristen, and that's when he saw how the light faded from her eyes.  That exact moment he knew he just delivered her an unexpected blow.

One thing for sure, the guilt ate at him, but it was there already. There's nothing much to do but go from here.

Now they share a clean slate.

"I gotta go, It was nice seeing you again" I mumbled, smiled, turned and gave her my signature wave.

I was an asshole.