Chapter 33 : Twilight

October 2015, Los Angeles

"So whose party is this we're going to?" I asked.

Nicholas was driving us to a party in Malibu, a British friend of his that I haven't met yet, but he assured me I might know some of them already.

"It's Keri's." He replied, trying to louden his voice amidst the music in his car. "I'm not sure if you've met her though, probably not."

"It's okay." I calmly said. I may not be a social butterfly but I do know how to get along with people.

It has nothing to do with strangers, it's just that I still find it disconcerting to go out and about with Nic, especially now that it's widely known that we are officially dating. 

Are we dating? We hooked up that's for sure, but we never really talked about it in a way.

Lately with projects on stand-by I find myself wanting to stay at home more and enjoy the dogs and reading a lot more books. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm too scared to go out coz until now we still haven't been able to see each other. When I say we....Me and Rob.

Rob...

It has been a month already for him here in LA and we have successfully managed to avoid each other like the plague. Funny thing is that somebody from his team sometimes would pass by the house to pick-up the dogs and would return them a couple of days after. Bear and Bernie, he misses them I know. I just don't ask questions anymore.  The fact that we both haven't worked up the nerve to face each other and talk yet says something already.  I started wanting to find a way a couple of weeks ago, now I just lost the urge knowing he didn't even try to say hi.

I sighed audibly.

"What's wrong?" Nicholas asked as he lowers the volume of the car stereo.

"Nothing. Are we there yet?"

***

Nicholas and I arrived later than everybody else. The place was jam-packed already and we can barely get through the foyer.  It's evening but the sun is still up so the party is still on it's way to get wilder.  I see some personalities and I do remember other acquaintances. Familiar faces are scattered all over the place, some tipsy already, some smooching at a corner, there was even a pool party going on at the back area.  It seems to be one of those that will probably last all night, and where there are no such thing as celebrities coz no one really gives a fuck about anybody here.

Interesting, I could actually hide away in a corner with my booze and probably get away with my thoughts for the entire night.

"This is Keri. Keri this is Kristen" Nicholas introduced me to our host, she was British Black and I'm pretty sure I haven't met her before so I just smiled shyly greeted her a happy birthday and gave her a hug.

"You guys enjoy, okay?" She said smiling. "Go grab some beer and hang out at the porch or wherever" She added as she directed us to the general area.

Nicholas handed me a bottle and took one for him.  We patiently snaked through the throng as he greeted some friends and introduced me to some. They were friendly enough, It's the third party I've been to with him, so some, I already know. Though I wonder why they're looking at me peculiarly, maybe because it's only now that news about me and him surfaced unlike the previous gatherings.

Interesting, I do might need that alone time I've been thinking about earlier.

The place was huge for a beach house so I had to go around until I spot a nice corner to lounge at.  Nic was busy with some of his friends and I told him I'll just be at some corner chatting or whatever.

I walked out to the pool area where a rowdy group was trying to douse each other if not horseplaying. I continued on to the garden that slopes down to the beach and found this big rock among the shrubs which looks comfortable enough to sit at. 

Perfect. It was twilight and I have my third bottle of cold beer with me. I rarely go to the beach anymore and this seems like a perfect escape from the noisy crowd.  I'll remember to thank Nicholas later for this.

I sat down comfortably enough and took sips from my bottle and patiently waited for the sun to disappear completely from the horizon.

Only the sound of the waves and sea birds can soothe a soul like this, the noise was just a distant sound in the periphery, something I can blot out if I concentrate enough.

I closed my eyes and just let it take all over my senses.

Oh life...you surprise me sometimes.

I continued to lounge there with my eyes close, my face absorbing the fading sunlight and letting the breeze waft through my hair. A smile playing on my lips.

I spent a few minutes in that state.

"Beautiful isn't it?"

I jerked, sitting up straight, surprised by the masculine voice a few paces behind me.

Oh God oh God oh God....

It can't be.

"Are you still closing your eyes? You're gonna miss the sunset." He said, a trace of laughter in his voice.

Oh God that voice...

I curled up, my hands clenched in my lap, my eyes still shut.  A million thoughts ran through my head and I've never felt so incoherent my entire life.

"Kristen...."

I silently moaned unconsciously as a reaction. More like a moan of distress than pleasure, who knows, it could be second nature.

I have to. I need to turn around and check If I wasn't hallucinating. I have to, damn it! I just can't curl up in a ball coz I'm unable to handle it. 

I forced myself to straighten and open my eyes. I forced myself to turn inch by inch and slowly look up to see. I forced myself to see, to look at his face.

Finally. Even through my blurring, surprisingly wet eyes, there was no mistaking that face.

"Rob..." I whispered.