Chapter 22 : Third time's the charm

CALABASAS, Present day

"Biscuits for dinner?" Rob looked at me questioningly.

I went in after him and Thomas after that foyer drama we had going.

The first thing he saw was the mess that was my kitchen before. There was the burnt food on the kitchen sink. The other utensils were strewn all over the granite counter. Cleaning wasn't advisable when you have a screaming baby and a burnt hand.

I just looked at Rob. No, I won't give him an answer unless he explains to me what he was doing here.

He looked back after scrutinizing every single nook and cranny of his surroundings.

"What happened here?" he asked.

I want to pull my hair in frustration. I went to them instead and started to take Thomas from his hands.

They both refused.

"Calm down. I can take care of him. Have you tended to your wound already?" he asked. Without waiting for a reply, he reached out for my right hand then turned it over to check. I tried to pull it out of his reach but it was too painful to even try.

"It's superficial. Nothing to worry about. What is this? Pepsodent?" he raised my palm and brought it closer to smell.

I nod. He smiled and dropped my hand.

"Why are you so quiet?" he asked jokingly.

"I...uh...I'm just..." I sighed. "I don't know"

"Go ahead and rest for a while. I'll take care of this" He said.

Robert taking care of housework? It was difficult to imagine when she used to remember that he rarely does anything that much when they were together.

Though I was so tired, I'd take any help I can get, even from him.

I decided Thomas is fine in his hands so I walked to the family room and sat on the couch. I sat and thought about nothing at all. I don't want to think. I'm exhausted and honestly I was glad to have a minute reprieve. So I laid back my head and closed my eyes.

For a moment it was blissful silence.

"Mama..." Thomas' voice floated in my mind. I blinked awake, somehow I managed to fall asleep on the couch.

"Stay still" I flinched then realized Rob was kneeling in front of me, holding my injured hand.

"What are you doing?" I mumbled.

"It's Flammazine. I bought it on the way here. Just in case you didn't have any." He said as he spread some of the substance on my palm. I felt the cooling effect instantly and sighed, closing my eyes, leaving him to his ministrations.

"wooki..." Thomas blurted right next to me.

He was there right by my side on the couch observing me and Rob and had a cookie in his hand.

"Yes honey...Cookie" I said smiling at him. At least he isn't cranky anymore.

"Wooki...wooki!" He said again making both of us laugh.

"Sorry. I didn't know what to feed him. Can't find his milk bottle" Rob was still applying it slowly, coating every single space even in between the fingers.

With that though in mind, I felt myself color. Then I started to feel the heat travelling from the points of the finger he is now slowly caressing to every salient point of my body.

"Rob...stop" I almost gasped when he ran the tip of his finger from my wrist down, still with the guise of applying the medicine.

He may not feel anything, but I was always a puddle in his hands. Apparently, until now.