Fünf

It was lunchtime and Mikey had no idea what to make for Austen. He'd asked the boy multiple times what he wanted but he'd just gotten a shrug in response.

"Would you like Mac and Cheese?" Mikey suggested, holding up the Kraft Mac and Cheese box he'd found in Tobias' cupboard.

Austen nodded quickly. "Can I have some Orange Juice?"

"Yeah, sure," Mikey replied, searching the rest of the cupboards for the cups.

It wasn't too long before he found the cups and was able to pour Austen a glass of OJ. He handed the boy his cup carefully, getting a very quiet thank you in return.

As soon as Austen was preoccupied with drinking his OJ and finishing the last of Cinderella, Mikey went to work on making the Mac and Cheese.

It wasn't too long before both Cinderella and the Mac and Cheese were done.

Mikey scooped some Mac and cheese into a small bowl for Austen and slid it in front of his place at the table.

He got his own bowl and sat it down in his own spot before he made his way into the living room to get Austen.

"Lunch is ready," he announced.

"Can I eat it out here?" Austen asked, batting his eyelashes. Mikey smiled but did not give in.

"Tobias doesn't want us making a mess and it's much less messier to eat at the table than on the couch," Mikey explained.

Austen pouted and stayed in his spot on the couch.

"You can watch Netflix on my phone while you eat," Mikey suggested.

Austen's pout dropped and he started to get up, causing Mikey to smile in victory, until he realized that's not all that was dropped.

The glass of Orange Juice that had just been in Austen's hand was now on the carpet.

"It was an accident," Austen whispered and tears welled up in his eyes.

Mikey was quick to go over and comfort the boy. "I'm not mad," he assured him. "Go sit at the table, I'll take care of it."

Austen nodded glumly and made his way into the kitchen.

Mikey found some paper towels in the kitchen and quickly dropped them on top of the puddle, wiping up as much of it as he could and hoping it wouldn't leave a noticeable stain.

As Mikey reached for a new cup for Austen, his mind wandered to the sippy cup that had previously been on the boy's bed.

Mikey pulled his Netflix up and handed his phone to Austen, making his way into Austen's room as soon as he was distracted.

When Mikey pulled Austen's covers back he found that the sippy cup was no longer there.

So he checked the bedside dresser, where he found the sippy cup.

And a bunch of other things.

Albeit confused and curious about the other items in the drawer, Mikey said nothing and took only the sippy cup out, bringing it into the kitchen where he filled it with Orange Juice and handed it to Austen.

Austen was too focused on the cartoons to acknowledge the fact that he'd been given a sippy cup. Instead of getting embarrassed that Mikey had found it, like Mikey thought he would, he just began drinking from it.

  Mikey wondered if Tobias knew anything about Austen's dresser full of baby things.

Okay so I know I'm posting this super late at night but technically it's still Monday so it's on time. Next chapter will be posted Sunday and it will be longer I hope.