grayson - double date pt.1

in which you invite your best friend Grayson on a double date.

Y/N's POV

"Grayson please," I said as I sat facing him on the couch in his apartment. Last week I had convinced him to come on a double date with the guy I was talking to and a friend of his. Now the reservation was in less than an hour and he changed his mind.

"Y/N, no, I don't wanna. Just tell them I'm sick or something." He said leaning back on the couch and running his hand through his hair. I groaned.

"It's too late to cancel! Don't be a little flakey bitch Grayson. You're coming." I stood up and grabbed onto his arms, trying to pull him up to his feet. He wasn't dressed or anything. He knew he wasn't going to end up coming, this was his plan all along.

He stayed on the couch, barely moving as I pulled on him. I got frustrated and dropped his arms. "Come fucking on!" I yelled at him. A small chuckle came from behind me as Ethan walked from his room towards the kitchen.

"What's his problem?" Ethan asked as he grabbed a glass from the cupboard.

I glared at Grayson. "That's my question exactly. For whatever reason, he decided to ditch me at the very last second."

Ethan rummaged through the fridge as I turned to him. "Hey Ethan, you wanna come on a double date? The girl is hot, I promise."

He shrugged, "Nah, not feeling it."

Grayson laughed lightly and I turned back towards him. "That means you're definitely coming then bud," I said, pulling on him again. This time he actually stood up without me having to use all of my strength.

"Fine." He breathed out, giving me a forced smile and walking off to his room to get ready.

"You know there's a good chance he'll just stay in his room all night now," Ethan spoke as he poured himself a glass of orange juice.

I crossed my arms and shouted down the hallway. "You've got 10 minutes Gray. Let's go!"

-

The restaurant we were at was moderately fancy, nothing too extravagant but still decent food. Grayson sat across the table from me scrolling through his phone, just as the guy I was currently an item with approached the table. A pretty dark-haired girl following slightly behind him.

"Hey babe." He said, giving me a quick peck on the cheek and sitting down next to me. I smiled and said a quick "Hi Liam." in response.

Grayson set his phone down and smiled politely at the girl, pulling the chair next to him out so she could sit down.

The two of them introduced themselves and I felt a wave of relief wash over me as the night started off without any problems.

The relief did not last long as soon after the waiters brought our food, Grayson decided he wanted to know more about my date.

"So what type of job do you have?" Grayson asked before he had even introduced himself.

Liam swallowed the food in his mouth before speaking. "I don't really have one at the moment. I'm a musician, in between work."

I cringed a little and looked down at the table, knowing Grayson would have a reaction to that. He always had some sort of opinion about every guy I had ever dated. He was great at finding negative qualities about them, and then blowing it out of proportion and make me second guess all of my relationships.

I looked up as Grayson smirked, raising his eyebrow. "Oh? Really." Grayson turned to look at me and repeated what Liam has said in a sort of condescending tone. "A musician."

I just took a deep breath and smiled. "Yeah, he's pretty good, beautiful singing voice,"

Grayson just nodded slowly, a smile on his face. I should've let him stay home.

It's okay, now we can go about eating. Grayson found out a detail about him that he could bother me with, so he can be done looking for flaws now.

"So how did you guys meet?" He spoke again.

Fuck, if he didn't like the first answer he really wasn't going to like this one.

I looked at Grayson, who's eyes stayed on Liam, awaiting his answer. Grayson's date sat quietly eating her food, probably feeling at least a little bit uncomfortable.

"Oh," Liam laughed. "We hooked up at a party my ex was throwing."

I cringed and looked down at my food, not wanting to see the smirk that I knew was definitely on Grayson's face.

"Really?" Grayson said in disbelief." You could hear the smile in his voice, like he was about to start laughing. I stuffed a bite of food in my mouth.

"Your ex's party?" Grayson continued, crossing his arms over his chest. I swallowed my food quickly.

"This Chicken Alfredo is delicious." I piped in, both of their attention was drawn to me, before Liam and Grayson quickly looked back to each other as Liam answered his question.

"Yeah, we broke up about a week before she threw the party. She was bland. Unlike Y/N." Liam looked at me and winked. God my whole body hurt from cringing.

"Great reason to dump someone." Grayson nodded with fake agreeance.

I looked over to Grayson's date, who was sliding her food around on her plate, clearly disinterested with the entire situation. I cleared my throat. "So Grayson, why don't you tell your date about youtube or something," I said nervously, suggesting the first thing that came to my mind.

"Uh, yeah, one minute," He shrugged me off. "So your ex really invited you to her party a week after you dumped her?"

I rolled my eyes and sat back in my chair. I was really dumb for inviting him in the first place and then practically forcing him to come when he said he didn't want to. My fucking bad for thinking my best friend could stop himself from being annoying for one single dinner.

"Yeah, she's still pretty obsessed with me, but she's not really that hot, so it's not worth the crazy." Liam laughed and took a bite of his food.

He needs to shut up, everything he said dug him and I into a deeper hole. Grayson just turned to look at me, for the first time in a couple minutes now. He shook his head in disappointment. "One of the worst ones yet." He mumbled lowly. I kicked him under the table, causing him to jump slightly.

Liam's eyebrows furrowed as he looked between us, so I plastered on my most exaggerated fake smile, Grayson copying my actions with an obviously forced grin. Liam looked back to his food and the both of our smiles fell immediately. I sent Grayson a glare. He widened his eyes and mouthed "are you kidding?"

I rolled my eyes at him and mouthed back "shut up" causing him to just look away from me in annoyance. As if he even had a reason to be annoyed with me.

For the rest of the dinner Grayson and I hardly even looked at eachother, though I would occasionally see him glance at me out of the corner of my eye while I was talking to Liam. I couldn't help but feel irritated at how obviously uninterested he was in his date. She must be so done with this.

I furrowed my eyebrows. Shit, I don't even know her name. This dinner was a mess. I just wanted to finish my food and move on.

Oh god, we still have to go mini-golfing after this. Who's idea was that? I stopped myself from groaning at the idea of having to spend multiple more hours on this double date instead of being at home. I sat and ate my dinner, just wanting time to go by faster.