grayson - don't worry

In which nothing feels like it's going your way.

Y/N's POV

The ringing of my phone played through the speakers of the car as I drove to my mom's house. I had finally gotten around to visiting her between school and spending time with my boyfriend, Grayson.

It was him who was calling me, likely wondering why I disappeared in the morning without even saying goodbye. I let the call ring to voicemail and music began playing through the speakers again.

I didn't like ignoring him like that, but I knew that talking to him would only make things worse. Lately, everything I said or did seemed to push our relationship deeper down into this hole. Both of us keep acting like everything is okay, but we hardly even have time for each other. We live in the same apartment and just float past each other all day.

Last night we finally got into the huge argument we needed to get into. The pretending was becoming too unbearable. The last thing I wanted was to end our relationship, but I had a feeling in my gut that the end was near, and it wasn't going to be me that actually did it.

I shook my head and forced myself to stop thinking about it, but I couldn't find any distractions. I continued to overthink and predict the end of our relationship. I didn't cry, I couldn't cry, despite how badly I feel like I need to.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I pulled into the driveway of my childhood home. I walked to the front door, being immediately engulfed in the nostalgic scents and the warm embrace of my mom as she opened the door.

I wrapped my arms around her and squeezed my eyes shut. She pulled from the hug and let me in, immediately asking me all about how things were going for me. I lied and said how amazing things were with Grayson, fearing that she would start to dislike him if I told the truth.

-

We had finished eating almost 3 hours ago, and my mother was now talking to me about my schooling. I guess by me telling her that I had taken a couple days off struck a chord with her, and she was now digging into me about the importance of my education.

"Without school, you can't do anything. You will have nothing, Y/N. focus, don't disappoint me like this. I trusted you on your own and I don't like how you're proving my decision to be wrong."

I sat in front of her and began to feel a tension in my throat, knowing that if I tried to talk now I would likely burst into tears. I nodded and she continued to drone on about my failures before I managed to compose myself enough to check the time and say that I had to go.

I said my goodbyes to her and my father, who simply didn't have much to say at all, other than smiling about my school not really taking in anything I was saying.

I shut my car door and shuddered, holding back the tears as I gripped the steering wheel. I glanced down at my phone, which had a notification from Grayson on it.

Grayson
Hey, I ate on my own. pick something up for yourself on the way home.

I simply looked at the message and placed my phone back down. I wasn't hungry anyway.

-

It took everything in me to not breakdown while driving home, though now that I stood outside of my apartment I was kind of wishing that I had. I didn't want to cry in front of Grayson right now, I wanted to sleep.

I unlocked the door and pushed it open, Grayson simply turned away once he realized it was me who entered.

He muttered a low "Hey" from his seat on the couch in the living room, his laptop on his lap as he edited a video.

I didn't reply as I put my purse on the ground and pressed my back against the wall. I couldn't hold back anymore as the tears clouded my vision and my back slid down the wall. I reached the floor and curled into a small ball, letting out a loud choked sob, immediately catching Grayson's attention.

He turned and looked at me, becoming worried and springing up from his position on the couch and jogging up to me. I let myself continue to sob, the oh-so-familiar painful feeling taking over my throat. my eyes began burning and my chest felt heavy.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Grayson asked, getting down on his knees in front of me and rubbing his hands up and down my legs. I continued to cry and he looked at me with furrowed brows and a worried expression.

He didn't wait for an answer as he pulled my hands, making me stand up. He then picked me up bridal style and carried me to the bed, laying me down in the comforting sheets.

He pulled my shoes off of my feet and helped me removed my coat, before laying down beside me, pulling me in close to him so my head rested on his chest, tears soaking into the t-shirt he was wearing.

He ran his fingers through my hair as I continued to sob before managing to form a sentence. "I had such a terrible day." This was followed by a continuous stream of tears and unstable breathing that I was trying to get back under control.

"Shh, baby, its okay." he murmured before he pressed his lips to my forehead.

I ignored his attempts to calm me down and I continued to speak, knowing it would just cause me to break down more. "I don't want to lose you, Grayson. I feel like I'm losing you." I continued to cry.

He pulled away from me slightly so he could look into my eyes, as he spoke. He placed his hand on my cheek, and I noticed the tears that we beginning to well in his eyes.

"You never have to worry about losing me," he said, as he held my face in his hands. "I'm staying with you no matter what."

He used the sleeve of his sweater to wipe all of the tears off of my face, and I sniffled.

"I love you, don't ever worry." He repeated himself. I simply nodded in response and rested my head back onto his chest, breathing in his scent and closing my eyes tightly as a few more tears fell.

"I love you too."