Chapter 3.

Please vote and comment. That would help a lot! 

Much love, ~RHF~

-

Chapter 3.

Turning his back towards me, Jack busied himself with his work. He was walking to and fro from the lab tables carrying bundles of paper in his arms, going through them with a frown etched across his bushy eyebrows. He scratched the stubble along his jawline. Obviously swimming in a sea of thought.

I stood there, not knowing what to do. I wondered why he even brought me here in the first place. Bored of the monotony, I let my eyes wander around the room observing the warm brown texture of the wallpaper and the brown carpet that had not been dusted for a long time.

I then obsereved his machines and computers all connected in a strange but intricate way.

But even among them all the strange machine stood out with its pink iridescent glow and complex structure. I had always loved articulately built structures and I had this nagging feeling in my gut that it might give me a few hints about what Jack was up to.

With a quick glance over my shoulder, I took proceeded towards it with cautious steps.

Just a little closer...

The machine looked even more complex up close with numerous wires and tubes connecting to and from its interior. Its exterior was made of a shiny black metal. I noticed the small bottle placed beneath its tap-like tube and I crouched under, brushing my finger tips along its smooth glassy surface careful not to tip it over.

I winced as I heard the sound of fists slamming against a hard surface. I reluctantly looked over my shoulders and saw a furious Jack who was glaring at me, his lips curled into a frown. His face was flushed in anger and his hands that were clenched into fists were trembling.

I stood up shakily and opened my mouth meaning to apologise but the words were stuck in my throat. I felt stuck, paralyzed in my fear. My heart beat erratically against  my chest and my palms grew sweaty just thinking about what Jack was capable of.

“Don’t touch that! get the fuck away from that!,” He roared, his voice echoing in the lab. I froze in my spot. I could hear the blood course through my head. My mind was desperately trying to come up with ways to escape the inevitable torture that was going to happen.

With a relentless expression on his face, Jack prowled towards me like a predatory animal approaches its much weaker prey. He stopped inches from me, his much built physique towering over me.

He got my hands tied and he knew it.

“That is my life’s work, It’s very, very valuable to me!,” He barked at me, some of his spit blowing over my face in droplets. That would have made my inner self disgusted if  I was not too petrified of Jack to even think clearly.

“Don’t look at it, don’t go near it and don’t put your filthy hands on it or you will be sorry!,” he went on. Gathering all my courage and swallowing in my pride, I managed to give a curt nod.

I should have known better than to go ahead and touch his things. I should have known how he would react. Curiosity got its best of me and although he had been rash towards me before, I had never seen hit this angry. It must have meant a lot to him, that machine.

I felt like it was my fault although I knew what a horrible human he was.  He was sick, he was playing with my mind and turning me against myself, guilt tripping me over nothing big. He was physically and emotionally exploiting me but I could not do anything to stop him.