19: Just Stop

The rolling mountains blurred past us as I drove on the freeway in the dead of night. When Ruby said that we were leaving at night I didn't expect her to finally show up at my house when it was almost 11 at night. We had a three hour drive and she wasn't the one that was supposed to stay awake; it was me.

        Ruby was currently jamming out to some Pierce the Veil song and Taffy was sound asleep in the backseat. We had the heater on, but Ruby kept the music up and gave me about three cans of espresso shots to make sure I wouldn't fall asleep.

        I don't think I'll be able to sleep for a good two days now.

        Much to our advantage there were barely any cars on the road expect for a few that had the same idea as us. If we passed any cars, Ruby would wave frantically at them until they acknowledged her presence. Not the smartest thing to do especially late at night.

        "So according to the directions I printed out, we have about two hours left of driving. That means two more hours of listening to my singing!" She clapped her hands together happily while I groaned in protest.

        ~+~+~+~+~+~

        We chose to take the scenic route into San Francisco which consisted of going across the Bay Bridge and then into the heart of the bustling city where it was decorated with Christmas-themed items.

        When we got off the bridge and made it into the city, I slowed my speed to about 15 mph so that we could enjoy the light show in front of us. Red, green, white, yellow, and other colors were strung above the streets along with reefs and even though it was late at night, Christmas music still chimed throughout the city.

        Once we got our fill of scenery, we made our way to the hotel. It was a fairly popular one and I felt my mouth drop open as the valet snatched my keys from my hand once our luggage was secured on a dolley. Ruby barged inside to check in and I followed awkwardly behind, gripping Taffy's leash with a death grip. The clerk smiled at us politely while handing us the key to our room.

        We hurried to the elevator, holding it open for the employee that had our luggage. He smiled thankfully at us and then we ascended in the elevator towards the floor that hosted our room.

        The room that Ruby had booked for us was beautiful. It had a balcony that overlooked the indoor, heated pool and it had two queen-sized beds beside each other. There was a closet by the door and a flat screen TV rested beside a sofa that sat against the farthest wall. The bathroom was styled in an 18th century fashion and it gleamed with pride beneath the warm lights. There was a small part of the room sectioned off for animals and I put Taffy inside the area where dog food and water awaited him.

        The employee set our luggage down beside the door before telling us goodnight. It was almost 2 in the morning and I was still wide awake.

        "This is so awesome!" Ruby exclaimed jumping onto one of the beds. I smiled at her, settling on to my own. She began talking to me, but I felt my eyes grow heavy and quickly fall unconscious.

        I awoke to sun pouring in through the sliding glass door that led out to the balcony and Ruby standing outside sipping a cup of what I assumed to be coffee. Sitting up, I rubbed my eyes to get rid of the sleepiness and climbed off of the bed.

        "Jumping in the shower!" I called out to Ruby, who raised her hand in reply. I grabbed a pair of black skinny jeans, a light blue sweater, a white scarf and brown slipper boots before making my way into the bathroom. Once I stepped foot into the warm bath I immediately fell in love. The warm water engulfed my body and I felt like the happiest person.