Chapter 29

**yeah, yeah, this is late. Whatever.**

Chapter 29

Jamie's return came as both a relief and a difficulty, when with her, she brought back answers— none of them good.

"We need to tell someone," Lyla said almost before Jamie had even finished speaking. They were all gathered in the Great Hall during supper as Jamie relayed everything she had heard from Queen Rowena. Lyla could almost imagine her aunt saying the words; the wrinkles at the corner of her mouth tightening with worry. "Eli? What do you say we speak to Princess Camille? If not the king, then she's our only option."

"I don't understand why I didn't know about this." Eli seemed troubled. "I thought the Verignes drug trafficking epidemic ended years ago. I know I'm not technically from this kingdom, but as an aide from Kaidia I should have been briefed on such things."

"Why?" Aveline shot back, changing the topic abruptly. "Because your father is the Captain of the guard?"

"How did you know about that?" A muscle bobbed in his jaw.

"Kai." Aveline's face softened to something like pleading. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Aveline, you know how I admire you, but you don't tell me shit."

The pirate glared, and Lyla cleared her throat, uncomfortable to be witnessing their exchange.

"It doesn't matter now," Ari broke in. "What matters is we're being watched, and I don't know about you, but I'm tired of sitting around and doing nothing about it."

So was Lyla. If any more narcotic use could be prevented, she was determined to make sure that it was.

"Princess Camille is the last person we should tell," Jamie was arguing. "She's ridiculous. Have you seen the way she ogles? Just the other day, I caught her looking at Ari like he was a piece of meat."

"Jealous?" Ari teased, smirking from where he leaned against the ship's hull.

"This is serious, Ari."

"My preference would be to go to the Capital and speak to the King directly, and to my father..." Eli studiously avoided eye contact. "But we could speak to Lord Guernot as the next Verignes authority."

Ari gaped. "Are we just throwing out shitty ideas now?"

Lyla sat up, an idea occurring to her. "What about Duchess Belthrop?"

Her audience fell silent.

"The old lady?" Jamie sounded doubtful.

"Lady Belthrop is not to be disturbed," Eli began, but Lyla quickly interrupted him.

"Eli, can you grant us an audience with her?"

"Well, hypothetically yes, but-"

"Then this might be the only feasible idea we have."

"Fine," he relented quickly. "But Guernot will find out about this-"

"Find out about what?" Lord Guernot seemed to have materialized out of nowhere as he suddenly slid onto the bench across from them, plate in hand. Lyla flinched.

"Nothing," Jamie said in haste.

"I told you we should have spoken on the ship," hissed Ari under his breath.

Lyla cast them a haphazard glance before taking a breath and turning to the expectant nobleman.
"Lord Guernot, sir... could we speak to you in private?"

"Lyla!"

Ignoring Ari, she continued. "Now?"

"Why, of course, Lyla." Was Guernot batting his eyelashes? Gross. Faint concern dusted his brow. "Is something the matter?"