Chapter 57

I sat Aliyah's carrier beside my feet, as I got comfortable on the doctor's couch. Today was Augusts' first therapy session and I wanted to be there with him, since I knew he would probably have a hard time opening up to a stranger.

August ploppled down beside me, already over this whole thing. He barely spoke to me in the car, all he wanted to do was be at home with Aliyah and I, but I knew that this was someting he needed to do for himself. And if he wasn't going to do it on his own, I was going to help him.

The doctor stepped into the room and smiled at the both of us. "Hello, Im Dr.Matthews." She reached her hand out for me to shake. "Simone." I shook her hand and smiled at her. "And you must be August, correct?" She asked, turning to him. "That's me." He said dryly.

She nodded and took her seat across from us. She looked down at her chart before speaking. "Okay well, it says here that you decided on coming to therapy for your issues with grief, loss, and breavement, is that correct?" He shrugged. "I guess."

"That's correct." I said, speaking up. She looked over at August, who was slumped down in the couch, not really taking this seriously. "Wel before we start, I want to quickly explain what grief is , and the process were going to have to go through to heal you." August was silent.

"First." She started. "Grief is a reaction to any form of loss. You may feel wide ranges of emotion from anger, to sadness." August cleared his throat, still not speaking. "Emotions are often surprising in their strength or mildness, and they can also be confusing, such as when a person misses a painful relationship." I glanced over at August, who still had the same look on his face from when we first entered the room.

"I want you to know that there's no right or wrong way to grieve, everyone goes about it differently." He nodded. "Now, on to the road to recovery." She said with a smile.

"Some people recover from grief and resume normal activities within six months, though they continue to feel moments of sadness. Others may feel better after about a year, and sometimes people continue to grieve for years without seeming to improve or find relief even temporarily." I swalloed hard, hoping August wouldn't be like that.

"So, in order to move on, we must first get through the four different stages of grief. One, accepting the reality of the loss. Two, work through the pain of the grief. Three, Adjust to life without your loved one. And four, to maintain a connection to whomever has passed,while moving on with your life." He sat up a little on the couch and nodded.

"So is it okay if we begin?" I looked over at August, waiting for him to answer. "Yeah." He said lowly. She smiled. "Great....do you want to tell me about the person you lost?" She flipped over her chart and pulled out a pen. "It wasn't a person, it was two people." Dr.Matthews nodded.

"Okay, did these two people have a name?" He shook his head. "Nah, not yet." I sighed knowing that this was probably hard for him. "Care to explain?" She asked. He took a deep breath and sat up straight. "Almost two years, my fiance had a miscarriage." She jotted something down and looked back up at him. "And I recently found out that my ex-girlfriend had a miscarriage too."

She nodded her head and she wrote something down on her pad. "So did that recent misscarriage bring up old feelings from your previous one?" He nodded. "In a way, I think I never dealt with the first death, and now Im tryna deal with both of them at one time." She nodded as she pushed her glasses closer to her face. "I see." She started. "And how have you been dealing with it?" He sighed. "I just been working alot, or doing whatever I can to push it to the back of my mind."

"So your in denial?" He shook his head. "Nah, ion think so." She smirked. "Denial is a common phase in grieving, and Im more than sure that that's what your doing." She quickly wrote something down and looked back up at him. "In order to heal August, you have to acknowledge the pain. Trying to avoid feelings of sadness and loss only prolongs the grieving process." He sighed. "Ight."