Chapter 8

Comfortably sitting in her chair, Elaine had her hands resting in her lap. She stared out in front, lost in thought. Of all the work she had completed, one task had remained incompleted. Sighing silently to herself, the older woman shook her head, stressed. She had soldiers at her command and a society that respected her. Yet even with all that authority, she could not get through to the one girl that required the most concern.

"Mom," Carla called in the distance, making Elaine snap out of her trance. She peered at her child, sternly, "you need to rethink this."

"Carla-"

"I know what you're doing and I get why we have to keep an eye on her, but it's been years. It's not fair for her to not be able-"

"Life's not fair, that's how it's always been-"

"I understand that. What I also understand is that she's not four or seven or fifteen anymore. What happened has happened and you can't protect her-"

"I can damn well try-"

"Not this way-"

"I didn't ask for your opinion," Elaine abruptly ended the ongoing cut offs, "I asked that you watch over her. I asked that she never goes out alone and I expect you to obey my orders!"

Carla shook her head slowly in disbelief, "I'm your daughter, not your soldier," she reminded her, "when will you understand that?"

Elaine kept her cold expression. Her child left on that note, upset. The door closed, with the mother sighing.

- - - - -

"Thanks." Troy said as he and Savannah received their change.

The two of them then exited the diner, with the red ranger opening the door for his companion. She shook her head and pulled him away. After waiting for the door to close, she reopened it to let herself out. Perplexed yet amused by her actions, Troy followed her out without a word.

"Don't be such a gentleman towards me just to score points." Savannah spoke to him, walking down the sidewalk.

"Hey I'm not interested in what you think I am." Troy reassured her from behind.

"Yeah, but you're still a guy and guys have these things called horomones that tend to lose control sexually if not tamed." Savannah bantered.

"And women are the experts at containing that problem, right?" Troy inquired.

"Not saying that, but I'd say we're better at teasing." Vanni smirked.

'More like being confusing.' Troy thought. He ran up to stand in front of the young redhead to ask, "do you tease when you like somebody?"

"I tease when I please," Savannah answered, "why?"

"I'm just trying to read you better." Troy replied casually.

Savannah nodded, glancing at him up and down as she she did earlier before walking off again. The two kept their pace relatively the same so they could continue conversating side by side. Without looking directly at him, Savannah quizzed, "look I know you won't dive into your life so easily and I respect that but, I'd like to know what I'm working with here. Why didn't people befriend you? Do you have a shady family or something?"

Troy scoffed, "families don't have to be shady to be a nightmare."

Savannah had a weird, slightly puzzled look on her face and queried, "what's that supposed to mean?"

Troy sighed, "not everyone is like that but, most are."

"Tell me about it, they do things 'out of love', but then they either abuse their power you or do something that makes you question, what the hell kind of family is this? It's complete bull," Savannah retorted, to which the Dragon leader gave her a stare. She noticed, but didn't return it, "I never thought it'd be so stressful."

Troy nodded in agreement and shrugged, "well, guess they care so much that they have to be a certain way to protect us or love us."

Savannah had her turn to scoff by saying, "yeah right."

"It doesn't feel like it but, it's how it works...pretty much...I'm guessing," Troy riposted, unsure about what he was saying, "you know what? Life's confusing."

Vanni pressed her lips together and nodded. The two stop at a corner. The female warrior then turned around to stand in front of her friend so they would be face to face. She crossed her arms, "why haven't you opened up to your friends about this?"

"The same reason why you don't do it," Troy retorted easily, "it's not that I don't trust them. It's just...well...-"

"Fear of the outcome, I get it," Savannah understood as she finished his statement, "but, you'll have to eventually. I've already got a pretty good idea about who you are wolfie."

"Oh really?" Troy asked.

Savannah gave no reply to that. Instead, she simply flashed him a small, quick smile and turned around to walk away. The red ranger watched her go, knowing he was not going to receive a clear cut answer from her. He instead smiled, his being bigger than hers, and traveled in the other direction to reunite with the others.

- - - - -

"What took you so long?" Kent queried impatiently.

His soldier was not fazed, having heard his boss speak this way before, "I had to make sure everything was fine at home. Kids hate to see me go."

Kent paused at the word kids, though his tone of voice remained the same once he started to speak once more, "...fine, whatever," he looked around before giving orders, "I need you to stalk the Rangers. People know what I look like so until I figure something out, you're going to be my right hand man."

"Got it sir." The soldier complied.

"Good," Kent pointed a finger in his face, "and don't screw up."

He put his finger down and teleported away. Nodding to himself, the tough and terrified soldier went on to carry out his leader's plan.