Chapter Three

"Minho? Minho, can you hear me?"

Minho's vision was blurred. His ears were ringing but that voice-that voice was familiar. He knew that voice. It was a struggle, a monumental effort to focus his eyes on the shape in front of him. The picture finally stabilized, and became clear.

And despite his weakened state, non-existent strength, he threw himself forward against the steel manacles holding him in place.

Teresa who'd been sitting across from him at the table lurched back and Minho felt a twang of satisfaction.

"You lying, traitorous bitch. How could you? How could you do it?" Minho spat the words at her.

Teresa's eyes clouded with sadness. "Minho, WCKD is helping people- trying to save them."

"Don't start that bullshit with me." Veins corded in his neck.

Teresa shook her head. "It's for the greater good. We have to find a cure-"

"There is no fucking cure!" Minho's chest heaved.

Teresa blinked, seemingly speechless for a moment. "Not yet- but we are so, so close. You and the other Gladers are the key." She stood as if sensing her spiel wouldn't work on Minho. "You've already helped us a great deal by agreeing to come back here. We've progressed so far in these two months." She reached for the door.

"Ari almost died because of you."

Teresa's hand froze on the door handle.

"I almost watched her bleed out in the bed of a truck. Because of what you did." Minho raised his chin. "And you say WCKD wants to help save the human race? How are they supposed to do that when they open fire on a group of teenagers?"

Teresa turned to face him. "Because of that...accident we've discovered new information. Thanks to Ari and the blood samples the doctor collected from her we've found the key to the cure lies in the Immunes' blood, not the enzymes as we previously thought."

Anger rippled through Minho. "The accident? They tried to fucking kill her."

"If that had never happened we would not be as close to a cure as we are now," Teresa countered.

Minho was speechless for the first time. Utterly stunned by Teresa and her lack of empathy- not to mention common sense.

"We've also discovered something else, just a few days ago actually." She continued, oblivious to Minho's emotions. "Ari it seems is the key to everything. Her blood reacts with the virus in a way we've never seen before." She gazed past Minho as if reliving the wonderful discovery. "It destroys the Flare. Completely."

"What do you mean destroys the Flare?" Minho asked slowly.

Teresa had an enamored look on her face. "Her blood attacks the virus, dissolving it. We've had to tweak a few things here and there but for the most part... Ari's blood is a cure."

"What?" Minho couldn't keep the shock from his voice.

Teresa nodded, now seeming excited. "That is why it is imperative she comes back to WCKD."

"Because...you need her." Minho said, the realization dawning on him. "Need her blood...but... she's only one person. The only one like this so far?"

Teresa nodded again. "As far as we've found. Thomas is a close second but not as effective as Ari's blood. WCKD must find her."

Minho had a sinking feeling in his stomach. "Ari's body only has so much blood...WCKD-you-will kill her to take it all."

Teresa met his gaze. "A necessary sacrifice for the human race."

Rage flooded through Minho-and panic. "She'll never come here! She'll never let you do that- you'll kill her!"

"You are here." Teresa told him quietly.

Minho didn't understand at first. Then it clicked. "I'm bait." His voice was a whisper. "You know she'll come for me."

Teresa sighed. "We didn't plan this, Minho. We only discovered Ari's results a few days ago. And it just so happened that you were here to lure her back. Please believe me."

"I don't believe a fucking word that comes out of your lying mouth."

Teresa reeled back as if he'd struck her. She moved to the door again. "I'm sorry it had to be like this, Minho. I really am. If there was any other way I promise I would do it. I don't like seeing any of you go through this-"

"Shut the fuck up, Teresa." Minho pinned her with a stare so full of hate she actually listened. "Stop lying to me and yourself. Go have fun murdering people 'for the greater good." His twisted his head to the side refusing to look at her. His strength was waning, the rage had only temporarily fueled it. That bone dead tiredness was seeping back in. His mind was exhausted from every torture and experiment WCKD put him through. The Maze was nothing compared to this.

And what they would do to Ari-

The clicked of the door signaled Teresa's exit and Minho slumped in his chair. They'd kill her. To get their hands on their precious cure, they would murder her. Slowly, draining her blood until there was nothing left and she was lifeless.

The bullet wound in the truck had been foreshadowing of this and Minho shuddered. He couldn't let that happen. Wouldn't let it happen. But as the guards entered the room, pulling him to his feet and shoving him down the hall, the hopelessness of his situation sank in.

It had been two months already and he had no doubt Ari was either planning something or already had set it in motion. There would be nothing he could do to stop it.

Nothing he could do but watch as she walked right into WCKD's waiting hands.