Chapter 23

We had arrived in Ohio that night, and I had been acting really distant.

Everything was crashing down.

School reopening, Melanie, Billie and I...

This was all too much and I felt like bottling it up but I knew I couldn't.

Billie exited the bathroom, drying her hair with a towel.

"Hey babe." She greeted, pecking me on the lips.

It took a single glance for her to pick up on my sour demeanor.

"What's going on?" She asked slowly.

"I have to go back Bil.." I whispered.

She looked shocked.

We had just got here and I had just gotten with Billie, I completely understand her reaction.

"School is back on Monday and its Saturday... and Melanie is sick." I almost started crying until I realized.

I had no tears left to cry.

Billie looked crushed.

"My first show is on Monday..."

I looked at her apologetically.

"I need to head out in the morning. Cici and I are catching a plane."

I thought she would scream at me. That she would break up with me and yell at me for being so selfish as to leave. But she didnt.

She hugged me.

I felt tears on my shoulder, indicating she was crying and I heard her whisper.

"Don't leave me please."

'Don't leave me please! I'm sorry!'

Melanie's words replayed in my head over and over. No matter how much of a bitch I thought my sister was, I still loved her, and she still needed me. When she was born I promised to be the best big sister ever and skipping town and leaving her with her psycho parents wasn't cool.

It was selfish.

I needed to go back for her. Not for me at all - hell, not even for school. I needed to go back to be there for the one person who never truly let me down.

"I'm so sorry Bil." I pulled away from her and wiped the tears off her face, kissing her forehead lightly.

That night I just held her in my arms, enjoying our last night together before I had to fly home.

----------------------

I barged through the doors of my former home after thanking Cierra for the ride.

"Mom?" I asked.

"In here." I heard a weak voice call.

I entered the room to see my baby sister, on the ground, seemingly in pain.

"Oh my god what happened!?" I exclaimed, kneeling beside her.

"The other day I uh - had a little failure in one of my joints and it hurt like hell. Mom ofcourse assumed the worst but I shoved it off, rejecting any form of medical help."

I mentally facepalmed at my sister's idiocy.

"So I told them not to worry and that it was just some pain from my extreme boxing classes."

My eyes almost fell out of my eyes as she casually mentioned extreme boxing.

"What? I was technically an only child, mom and dad wanted to make me feel more ' loved' whatever that means." She said.

"Anyway, I had an episode before you walked in just now." She continued.

"Hand me your phone." She hesitantly handed it over, and I instantly rang my mom.

I explained the situation to my mom before holding Mel's hand while we waited for her arrival.

When I was interested in medical practices a few years back, I had acquired some basic knowledge.

I had an idea of what this could be but I definitely didn't want to believe it.

It's best to think of positive things even when things seem to be negative. Its called...

Optimism.

A skill I have mastered since birth.

To bad it doesn't even help.

-------------------