Chapter 5

NICK

Long before I found the school field, I did a lot of asking around— I was ignored couple of times but someone finally directed me there. I was shown the way to the field.  With both of my hands in my pocket, I stood just on the shadow of the tree, looking at them play—if I could even call it that. All the boys were on the field and from where I stood, I think they were grouped into two. I see Frank, Carlos and Thomas on the same team. They were all laughing, lying, squatting or standing on the grass—holding food in their hands. I didn't know if they were done playing but judging by their tired faces, they were.

After a few minutes, I simply sat and watch how the coach yelled at them. From the way they hurried, he probably just told them to drop their foods and go for another round. Eventually Frank sees me and seeing as he quickly gesture to the coach with his hands, I knew he would be here in no time. He starts running, leaving the team behind and I get up, removing the leaves from my body. Just a few inch closer, I could already hear his loud panting—they must have done a lot of work.

"West!" He exclaims, breathing heavily. "Wanna play?" He ask, pointing towards the field.

I quickly shake my head. I really don't know if I was ready to play yet. "l'm good man. Besides you guys look busy, I don't want to be that guy that slows you down."

"Slow us down?" he chuckles, patting me shoulder, "You know the real training ain't started yet. Coach might look serious now but we all know he wants to go home."

"Oh." Was all I could say.

"So? Just join us and try out this new field. If you really mean it when you say you are so good, then you must really miss playing. So, what do you say?"

Was I ready to join them? Joining them meant a lot to me— it means I need to make up my mind I was done with Chicago. I was done thinking I could go back there and still be their team leader, still be in the team. It means I am ready to start bonding with another team, talking nicely to my parents, making new friends and probably forgetting about Rosie. Was I ready for all that? Instead I turn to him, "I'd love to if the coach can have me." I said pointing towards the coach who was now signalling Frank to return back to the field.

"Dude, that man will certainly say yes." He assured me. "Hey, Coach Wilson!" He shouted. Wilson? Where have I heard that name before?

Suddenly Frank turns to me, "He's Thomas dad." There! That's where I heard it from. "Let go meet him." He continues and we began walking towards them.

At first, I actually thought I would be nervous like the first time I joined the football team in Chicago—I remember I couldn't stand still or look him in the eyes. I was even known as the legendary guy who couldn't stop stuttering on my first day but here I was walking towards this Coach with a broad smile plastered on my face, feeling even more bolder than ever.

"Coach, this is Nick. He's the guy everyone has been telling you about." Frank announce, stepping away from my front giving me a perfect view at the coach. Looking at him up close, Thomas does look like him, they both had green eyes and uh, uh, well nothing else. Thomas must have gotten the rest from his mum.

"The one from Chicago?" He ask plainly definitely not looking surprised as his eye brows remained furrowed.

I nod, stretching out my hand, "Nice to meet you, sir." But my hand was left successfully hanging. I could hear the guys chuckle but I wasn't one to care.

"My son and Frank told me all about you. They tell me you were a good player in Chicago." He says but judging by the look on his face, he didn't care less—probably because he thinks they are just making up words.