Chapter 2 - How the Whole Story Started for Joy

"Sheesh... Huh... Uh..." Joy was contemplating on what to say.

"Take your time, dear... Don't rush anything." Joy's mother tried to encourage her. "If you want, we don't have to discuss anything today. I know life can be hard-"

"No" Joy interrupted her mother. She then looked at her apologetically - "Oh, I'm sorry... It's just... I've waited for 9 days to even tell you anything, I feel like I've blocked you out of my life... I feel like I've been doing that for a while, actually, even before these 9 days" that last part was spoken solemnly as Joy looked at her shoes nervously.

"No! No way" Joy's mother replied. "We are here to support you and if you're feeling uncomfortable in telling us anything, then you don't have to..." She then paused and waited for Joy to say something.

"Ugh... Oh wow... It's really hard to say these things, especially since I know they're bad, and especially since you're giving me such great moral support" Joy admitted with a faint smile. She truly appreciated the support.

"Why don't you start from the beginning? The good times? Anything that makes you feel comfortable?" Joy's father suggested with a supportive tone in his voice, leaning in his chair. Joy's mother gave him a kiss of approval, giving him a look that said "you're a smart man." He just smiled back appreciatively.

"Anything that feels comfortable... Well... I don't know what would fit that description" Joy spoke softly again while looking at the ground. She felt defeated.

Her parents then stopped and waited for Joy to say anything, they wanted to give her a safe space to talk. After a while, Joy decided she had to start from somewhere.

"I don't have a "comfortable point" to start with but... I do have a point where I think the whole thing started so... So should I start from Yoona?"

"Oh, okay..." Joy's father was surprised.

"Is there something wrong?" Joy asked confused.

"No, it's just... Ah...I'm a bit confused... I mean.... I'm so sorry..." He stopped and then added:

"I'm so sorry that your break-up with her is still hurting you-"

"No heh!" Joy interrupted with a soft smile. "No, it's not about that. Well, at least not directly... I just thought I should give some sort of starting point for the whole story... I thought maybe by going back to one of the lower points I experienced in my life, I could... I could somehow understand why I'm still in this emotional position I am now..."

"Lower points? I don't understand" Her father replied confused.

"It's... It's okay, I'll explain." Joy responded with another soft smile. She wasn't prepared to show her true emotion just yet, so she hid behind those soft smiles whenever she could.

"Let her talk" Joy's mom softly added, he nodded and they both gave Joy a caring look.

"So... Let me just start by saying that my break-up with Yoona was painful when it happened. You both know that. We were together for a long period of time and I thought she was the one. Yeah, I know, a bit cliche but... She really understood me and cared for me and loved me...." Joy then stopped there, inhaled and then continued:

"I thought that that was it... I thought she was the one... And then the fighting started and then the ignoring... It was, as you both know, bad... And then the break-up happened which was uhm... Bad. Really bad. And as much as our relationship was getting more and more heated from all the fights, the break-up still hurt me... The only "good" thing about it was that it happened in June when I didn't have my classes at the university anymore so I didn't miss anything there... Going to work for my summer job was tough, but manageable... The people at work were nice enough so yeah..."