Chapter 19: The Plot Thickens (EDITED)

Start from the beginning

"So...why else were you 'drawn to me'? I guess I'm asking if we were really friends. How were we friends if you weren't being honest with me?" I asked, hoping he'd be able to give me an answer I could accept and understand. I didn't want to leave him behind. I wanted to learn to forgive him.

He sighed. "Now we get into the hard questions. You know I was assigned to you. The first day at the sandwich shop when I saw you I knew you'd be more than an assignment to me. Even though our boss was bullying you, you held your head high. You were so strong, stronger than anyone I'd known before you. I felt like I had to get to know you. I was supposed to keep my distance, watch you from the shadows. But once I'd introduced myself you were so interesting. You drew me in with your sweet nature you hid behind a mistrusting guard.  None of my previous friends had ever been so complex. You were sweet but tough, vulnerable but capable of taking care of yourself. And you were fun to be around. You made me smile, made me enjoy spending time with you. Despite me not being able to share the details of my life I was always myself with you. I couldn't help but be myself with you. Unfortunately, I had to lie about some things. I had to keep things from you. But I never wanted to. If I could have, I would have told you the truth from day one."

His eyes were begging me to forgive him. I could see the guilt in them. But I wasn't sure how to feel about him. I didn't think I was ready yet. So I decided to avoid the uncomfortable conversation and keep asking questions instead.

"Ok. So, how many girlfriends have you had?" I asked, hoping the question would lighten the mood.

He immediately looked uncomfortable. "You really wanna talk about girlfriends?" I nodded vehemently and he groaned. "Fine. I told you I was a player in high school. Once I hit college on a basketball scholarship I started to calm down a little with girls. So excluding high school, maybe 4 actual girlfriends."

"Is this including Becca?"

For some reason this question made him blush and duck his head. "No, not including her."

"Why not?" I cocked my head to the side.

"I wasn't really dating her. I was mainly using her to...never mind." He wouldn't look at me.

"Using her to what?" He shook his head, clearly unwilling to tell me. "Come on Will! You promised you'd tell me anything. Don't you want me to forgive you?" I asked, playing dirty.

He glared at me. "That's not fair. You can't just turn my words on me like that."

I laughed. "Yes I can and stop avoiding it. Answer me please."

"Ugh, fine. I was mad at you for dating James. I knew you didn't like the idea of me dating her, so I led her on a little to make you jealous." He finally admitted, refusing to look me in the eye.

My jaw dropped. "I knew it! I knew you didn't really like her!  Wait, if you've had 4 girlfriends since high school, how many have you had since you were assigned to me?" The thought suddenly occurred to me.

"Just one. I was with her when my assignment started, and I eventually broke up with her a while before you moved to New York and I met you in person.  Previously, I'd been overseeing the other agent shadowing you in Pittsburgh. The job was too straining on our relationship. She felt I wasn't putting enough work into it, which was probably true. I was busy spending my time worrying about you. Since then, I haven't had time or the interest in anyone else."

"Oh." I couldn't make any words form past that at his admission. I was the reason he'd never dated anyone. That made me feel kind of bad. I didn't want to hold up his life.

"But hey, don't feel guilty. You've always been more than enough to make me happy. I wanted to spend all my time on you. You're special Annie."

He looked in my eyes and gave me a nervous sort of smile. I felt butterflies flitting around my insides suddenly. I abruptly looked away and tried to shake the feeling. Before I could make myself back to normal Will's soft touch gently guided my chin back to face him. He took a deep breath and studied my face.

"Look, about what Jaime said earlier today...it's—"

He was suddenly cut off by a brisk knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I called.

"Officer Rodriguez ma'am. I have a question for the agent in there with you."

"One moment." Will called, standing up to answer the door.

The second I watched the door open I heard a cracking sound and Will suddenly fell over. I screamed, watching the blood pool around him impossibly fast. Suddenly I heard another shot and a uniformed officer fell over by Will, blood gushing from him as well.

I grabbed my cell phone and ran over, trying to see if I could spot the shooter. I wasn't thinking about my own safety at all. I just wanted to save Will. I called 911 and told them what happened, sobbing the entire time.

Will couldn't be dead. No, it wasn't possible. I put pressure on his wound and the officer's as best as I could until the ambulance arrived.

"Stay with me Will. Please don't leave me. I'll forgive you, I promise. Just don't leave me." I sobbed, holding onto him tightly as the emergency care specialists guided me with them.

He wouldn't die. Not on my watch.