Chapter 8: The Past in Present Heartache (EDITED)

Will and I spent the rest of the morning sitting comfortably together watching TV. We only moved once we heard Becca's door open. We separated from one another and I wasn't sure how to feel about it.

Becca came down the hall quickly. "Hey Will. It's good to see you."

She walked out, grabbed him by his shirt, and planted a kiss right on his lips, making me look away in discomfort. I refused to look in their direction again until Becca spoke to me.

"So, how was your date? I never heard him leave last night." She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively at me. I noticed in the corner of my eye that Will was staring at me, waiting for my answer as well. I couldn't help but think of his earlier words: 'I don't think you should be with him.'

I knew he wouldn't like my answer but I didn't want to lie. "I had a lot of fun. I fell asleep laying against him and he fell asleep like that as well, so he did actually sleep over. I think we're going to go out again."

Becca celebrated with me for a moment until she told us she had to go to class. She left quickly, leaving Will and I alone together stewing in awkwardness. I decided I should probably break the silence first.

"So it seems like things are going well between you and Becca. I'm glad."

He looked at me for a moment, studying me. "Yeah, things are going well. She's glad we're finally public with it."

I waited for a moment, thinking he was going to say more. When he remained silent, I realized he was going to stay tight-lipped about their relationship. Maybe it was because he didn't want to hear about mine? Either way, I wouldn't push.

The silence was thankfully broken by the sound of my phone ringing. I picked it up and saw a number I didn't recognize. Deciding to just go with it, I answered.

"Hello?"

"Ms. Annalise Bloom? This is Dr. Jones from Pittsburgh General Hospital. I'm sorry to inform you that your father is in the ICU after having a heart attack. You were listed as his emergency contact."

My heart dropped in my chest. He what?! "Is he alright?"

"He is in stable condition now, though it was a bit touch and go for a while. You're welcome to come pay him a visit. Once he's up and talking I will make sure to tell him to give you a call. Is there anything I can do to make this time easier for you?"

Though the words were so kind, his tone was extremely nonchalant, as if it was another Tuesday to him. I knew I couldn't rely on him for anything even if I did need something.

"No, thank you. I appreciate the call."

"No problem miss. Have a nice day."

"You too—" Before I even had a chance to wish him one as well the line went dead.

I sat in shock. My father...almost died? How could that be?

Will must have noticed the odd call because he wasted no time gently turning my body toward him and asking what was wrong.

"Um...my dad had a heart attack. He nearly died." I replied haltingly.

"I'm so sorry! Do you want me to drive you to his hospital? We can leave as soon as you want." He jumped into action, prepared to do anything for me.