Chapter 19: The Plot Thickens (EDITED)

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, maybe a little. It just became even more real to me I guess."

"Hey, don't worry. We're watching over you. I promise I won't let anything happen to you," He studied my face with his dark brown eyes. Finally he smiled and grabbed my hand, helping me to my feet. He guided me out of the station and back to his car. "Let's get your mind off it. What do you want to talk about? I'll tell you anything you want to know."

"Anything? Really?" I asked, eyebrows raised. That was a dangerous promise to make.

"Yes. Whatever you want."

He sounded so certain. Well, I could think of some things I wanted to talk about that might fluster him instead of him always having the upper hand on me.

"Alright. Let's talk about you," he looked over at me, curious, "Now I know you're an FBI agent you have no reason to hide things from me, right? I want to know who you are." I smirked. This could be fun.

He glanced at me, appearing concerned. "Um, I don't know if that's the best idea—"

"You want me to forgive you right?" I cut him off. He nodded, still keeping his eyes on the road. "Then you'll be honest and tell me whatever I want to know. If I'm going to be friends with you again I want to know who you are."

He thought about it for a minute then sighed. "Fine. I'm going to regret this, aren't I?"

"Probably." I agreed.

We fell into a comfortable silence the rest of the way back to my apartment. He looked contemplative. I was trying to come up with the best questions I could think to ask. By the time we were in my apartment, situated on the couch, I was ready.

"First question. It's an easy one. Who are your parents and where are you from?"

"Wow, I was expecting something scary. You're letting me down Annie," he winked before continuing, "My name truly is Thurston William Tucker III. My father was Thurston William Tucker II and my mom is Virginia West Tucker. We lived all over until I was about 7. That's when we settled down in Pittsburgh. I spent the rest of my youth there."

"What did you mean when you said your father "was" William Tucker? Is he gone?" I asked, not missing a trick.

"You're sharp. He died. He was in the military, so we moved around a lot until he was killed in an airport. His killer was a terrorist who tried to blow up the whole airport. He died taking the guy out so nobody else would get hurt." He answered completely straight-faced, almost as though he was reciting some boring fact. I knew better though. I could see the hurt hiding behind his eyes that he tried to keep hidden.

"What about your mom? Did she remarry? Do you have siblings?"

"Yeah, she married a guy named Steven Terry. I was the only child between her and my father, but they had three kids a few years after they married. I'm quite a bit older than them, but I still try to be there for them when I can." He smiled.

"What were you like in school? What was your favorite subject?"

"I was not really school-oriented. I was that guy on the basketball team who skipped a lot and was kind of a player. But when I was actually in school I probably liked art the best. I was always pretty good at sketching."

"I can completely see you being that guy. But art? Really?" I asked, not totally believing it.

"Yeah. It was one of the few ways I could express myself. I had to be tough at home for my mom. I wasn't really a part of her new family, not like I wanted to be. I had to rely on myself." He shrugged.

I smiled slightly. "I know how that feels."

"I know you do. That's one of the reasons I was drawn to you." He turned a charming smile at me.