Epilogue

Far away and deep into the forgotten edges of the earth stood a temple built from white marble glimmering in the sun with an eagle engraved on the beam of the entrance of the temple. Inside air flowed through its large doors and windows peacefully. Light curtains disturbed by the air moved about, the decoration about was simple yet sophisticated.

The alter in the center of it all, the fire place and furniture made it look like the living room of a noble with special needs and special tastes but it also made it feel and look homely. Before the fire place laid a woman with golden locks that flowed from her head to the small of her back, she laid on her side on a very soft looking fur rug. In front of her sat a jet black eagle with blue eyes that looked almost human. It was white from its head to its breast with a yellow beak black at the point it curved to the sharp end.

"Ah... young love, tell me Aquila do you think they will survive what is to come?"

She stroked the eagle gently as she spoke to it; it tilled its head as if in question as to who "they" are. "I swore never again to interfere in the things of mortals after what happened to Avila."

"What do you call what you are doing and what you intend to do as it concerns mortals, mistress?" the eagle spoke with a hint of sarcasm in a deep voice that sounded very human, the tone of its voice brought a brilliant smile to her face.

"Dear Aquila, I have served the gods for a very long time, keeping them young and beautiful. They can be a very boring bunch, I have been the dutiful daughter, the one who makes the home and takes care of it unlike some of my siblings that start wars and spread death amongst mortals. Mortals pray to me for long and happy lives, not realizing they are as powerful as we are weak and we are as powerful as they are weak. A god cannot worship itself and mortals need the powers that be to come to their aid often."

"And the curse mistress?"

"A mercy really, I was not the enemy that Avila made me out to be. Out of all my brothers he chose to accrue the wrath of the one who sees war as a sport. I had to act for the sake of Lucien's legacy."

"They no longer have your protection mistress, the curse has been lifted. The only thing that appeased your brother was the curse upon him and the gift given to the direct descendants of his son that was born of a mortal."

"It seemed like a grave punishment; the curse and the loss but what my brother had planned and what is to come is much worse."

She had a faraway look in her eyes as though see what is to come and it looked horrible.

"Has it not been long enough to forgive?" the eagle spoke almost to its self, "Time doesn't pass for the gods the same was it does for humans, to my brother the time that has passed may seem like two months only and you know how that one is with grudges. Besides it was starting to get boring around here" the eagle gave her what looked like a condescending look and she laughed heartily.

The edges of her white silk dress rose and fell as the air shifted it, they fell into a companiable silence but it seemed a dark could was hanging over them now.

"Son of Evan I truly hope your love can help you survive what is to come." The eagle flew from the ground to the post beside the altar and looked out through the window that faced north.

"So it begins?"

"So it begins Aquila."

~The End~